Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What can you tell the inept about the 6.5TD?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by CyberSniper, Oct 22, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So, I've been actively new and used truck shopping. A bigblock 2500HD with a ZF wouldn't be delivered until after the new year so I've pretty much given up on a new truck.

I found a brand new 2005 2500HD for $30k with all the bells and whistles but they won't budge on the price (already 10k below sticker but most of that comes out of corporate's pcokets).

I found a bunch of 96-99 half ton pickups that look nice but approach $10k (or a wee bit over).

I found some 3/4 tons... none of them impressed me too much and most of them had a crappy carfax report (if any of you guys need something run on carfax, let me know).

Then, today, my Dad found a 1999 4x4 crew cab dually SLT with $9,000 written on the window. He didn't get out of the truck (was after dark, he's going back tomorrow morning) but it has brand new tires and a giant exhaust system on it. So, I figure it's probably a 6.5TD truck.

Is this a fair price for one? eBay seems to be lying to me or something. There are very few when I search for "completed auctions".

What should I look for? The truck is a bit long for my tastes but it seems like it'd make an alright tow rig for the price. I'd end up daily driving it for about a year (probably take me a year to pay it off) and then it'd probably just get used for long drives or towing.

I haven't found a lot of information on the 6.5L either. It doesn't seem to be nearly as documented as the 6.2L or 6.6L.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, the 6.5 TD is basically a hotter version of the 6.2. It is computer controled starting in '94 I believe. They did have a lot of problems with PMD's (pump mounted driver) going bad. As i understand it it controls the IP...however due to where it's mounted it gets killed by the heat. A few companies make relocation kits for them.

Wastegate solenoids seem to die often enough, with the aftermarket offering kits for those as well.

Power wise they're not in the same league as the D-Max, but do respectably.

I'd drive it and see what you think.

Rene

3. CyberSniper

Well, after way too many hours of research, I'm going to avoid the 6.5TD. It's not that I think they're bad... it's the "you never know what you're going to get" of the used automobile market. Combine that with the known issues of the 6.5TD I don't want to risk it.

My Dad found an identical truck (has some minor body damage) but with a Vortec 454 and from Texas so it has no rust. He's going to take it for a test drive sometime this week. I'm kind of leery of a bigblock with a 8,000lb crewcab dually... but I bet I could pay it off in a year (wants 9k, I'd offer him 7.5k tops) and probably could get my money back out of it if I didn't want to keep it.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

As an owner of a vortec 454...gas...$$$$$$... :doah:

5. CyberSniper

What kind of gas mileage do you get? 9-10 around town and 13-14 on the highway unloaded?

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Pffff. I have 4.10s so I get 10mpg unloaded everywhere and 7 towing my 7,000 lb. trail truck and trailer. A few people I know have 3.73s and Vortec 454's and they get 13-14 highway but dont like the way it tows, I think the 4.10s keep it in the power band better.

7. prodeo

prodeo Registered Member

6.5 & PENINSULAR DIESEL

Go To The Web And Get All The Latest About What A 6.5td Can Do. Call Them And Ask Questions. I Have A 300 Hp 6.5 Td In My 84 Sub - Bad Ass! Good Fuel Mileage, Non Electronic!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd strongly urge you to reconsider. The 6.5TD is a good motor. If a guy can't afford to get into a Dmax or 6.0SBC truck, then the 6.5TD is going to be the best bet for the 88-'00 bodied trucks. The 454 is a fine engine but even the 6.5TD that doesn't have the best rep is better than any 454 that GM made. We have a '98 C30 dually with a Vortec 454 and NV4500. Nice motor, but I'd take a 6.5 in a heartbeat. Not only that but the 6.5TD's fuel consumption doesn't drop as much as the 454. Most 454's get 4-8mpg while in tow. A 6.5 should do 10mpg, if not a little more.

THe 454 may have more pep when empty but the 6.5 should outpull a 454 under a heavy load, and only get further ahead as the air thins with the elevation. A 6.5 should have no problem outrunning a stock non vortec 454 while in tow. THe Vortec 454 is better, but from what I've gathered, it's still not quite what the 6.5 is loaded. Our '98 C30 gets about 10mpg in town and 13-14 in town, like you were thinking. But.....ours is a 2wd and is a manual truck. A similar truck but with 4wd and a 4L80E should be under 10 in town and not much better on the highway.

The 6.5 doesn't get the mileage like the newer Ram's and Dmax's but they do seem to get at least 15mpg on the highway, a LOT better than a 454 with just as much power and more fun. The 6.5 does have some strange stuff to it, like vaccuum actuated waste gates but it's a better motor all around than the comparable 454 IMHO.

BTW, how did you come up with 8K for a crew cab dually with a gas engine? My heavy Ram Cummins that is 4wd weighs 6,900lbs on the scale, my dad's '02 Ram Cummins dually 4x4 with a manual is only a couple hundred pounds more.

There are a few decent 6.5 threads over at towrig.

http://towrig.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

6.5's aren't all that bad, but you need to be prepared and educated about the shortcomings, and accept them.

Bobbies right. My 97 EC LB weighs around 6,800 lbs., so I would put a CC Dooley around 7,500 at most (not much difference, but it is a bit).

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Try 6800lbs.
    I weighed one on scales so it's as accurate as you can get.
    I was hoping it would be 7200 but ...