Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What carb for a 383? Tried Demon Trucker Series??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Sep 26, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a full roller 383 motor in my truck with what I think is an Edelbrock Q-Jet style 600cfm carb. If I punch it off the line, it stutters (hic-up) like it isn't getting enough gas, then it takes off fine all the way to 5000rpm. When it shifts you can feel a lag for a split second, but then it starts pulling again. The accelerator pump works fine and the carb is adjusted right, so do I need a larger one? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

probably needs to be jetted and maybe the distributor needs to be curved with new springs and wieghts. maybe call a local shop with a dyno and see what it would cost to have them jet it and curve the dist.

3. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Holley Truck Avenger... 660 if it's sub 400 hp... 770 if it's over... ;)

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Grieby54, how do you like yours? Would it be hard to bolt up to a truck that is set up for a Q-jet? I have a/c and all that jazz...

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Depends on your manifold... The Q jet and Holley have a different mount/ bolt pattern. I know the Edelbrock Performer's have the dual pattern. You sure its a 600? My Edelbrock Q-Jet was either 750 or 795 cfm and was supposedly for 305-454 motors. First you do need to make sure its jetted right, the accelerator pump is dumping in the right amount and your secondaries are openning right. And if the distributor didnt come with the motor it should be recurved to your motor. If your timing isnt advanced right and at the right RPM you can have problems. Ive benn running 383's for a while. From smogger 350 HP to 450HP beast and you'll have to play with the carb and timing. Also are you running an aftermarket ignition? I have the MSD 6AL.

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have an Edelbrock Victor Jr. air gap manifold on it. I am pretty sure its a 600, atleast that what the receipt says from the original owner. What does everyone else with 383's run??

7. trailblazr81

Well back in the day I had a regular Edelbrock/Webber Performer 600. Was crap when climbing up a molehill!! Would sputter n die on the inclines, hard to start, spue black smoke... generally no good for wheeling. Next was the Q-Jet. After tuning was awesome. Would sometimes bog off the line before made right. Now I have a 73 K20 with a 425-450 HP motor that was originally for my 72 Nova with a Barry Grant Speed Demon 650. Took a while to adjust but is awesome!! Havent done any major inclines yet but I dont think it will do too well. Tho a 3/4 ton longbed isnt going to be doing too much twisty Rubicon stuff. Just trails, mud, pulling out my little bro's Yota, and towing/hauling crap. I guess after I get some cash and this thing pisses me off when on a trail I will go with a Truck Avenger 670. Tho I hear those need a bit of adjusting too. But thats fine since I bought a vacuum gauge for tuning.

Also personally I wouldnt run a Victor Jr. manifold on a 4x4. Im using the RPM Air Gap now, the dual plane helps the torque, while your single plain wuz designed for balls to the wall high RPM HP...which is fun too. :wink1:
    Unless you have big cam big heads and plan to have it screamin' over 6000RPM you wont need a 750. Stay in the 650cfm range.

8. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Has anyone had experience with the Demon Trucker Series carburetors? I am trying to contact them but the email isn't working, guess I'll have to pick up the phone...

9. trailblazr81

Ya those look nice... and I'm sure they will perform well. Like a blueprinted, ported, and polished Holley Truck Avenger. Tho I would only spend that kind of money if I was racing or doing something with it to try and win money!! Jegs lists the 650 cfm electric choke model for $572.99!!! :eek1:
    http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=469998&prmenbr=361
    And thats just a little more than I am willing to spend on a carb for a truck that probably is driven every other weekend. My Barry Grant Speed Demon cost me $400. and that damn smogger Edelbrock Q-Jet cost me around $425. and I was bitchin' about that. I dunno maybe Im just cheap.

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would love to try one of those Demon Truckers, but that price is steep. Barry Grant does make a good carb, though.