Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what carb should i buy????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jun 3, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have a new 290hp gm goodwrench 350 motor with an aluminum intake and headers in my truck, the carter afb just took a dump on me and i am looking to buy a new carb......what would be the best choice for me? i want good throttle response and good 4wheeling capabilities, i have about $500.00 in the budget for a carb so what would be a good choice? i was considering the edelbrock quadrajet.....any good? also cfm recomendations on cfm would be great and the best place to buy from also. thanks

2. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

600 edelbrock I love em don't leak down, good throttle response, easy to tune. Got one on my 40 olds coupe BBC with torker intake.

3. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A couple buds that i wheel with run those Demon carbs with great results

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

That's a cool little gizmo. I was wondering the same thing about mine.

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

After I got my Holley tuned in, my Truck Avenger runs great!

7. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

Barry Grant Road Demon all the way ive had no problems with mine off road at all, i love it :D

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cant fix the AFB??.....

I'd fix the AFB if possible,or get another one,or an edelbrock Performer...if you drive off road and bounce it around a lot or go up and down steep hills,your better off with a Quadrajet or the Edelbrock clones of it..they resist flooding and stalling at severe angles better..

I haven't had much luck with Holley carbs,other than some of their 2 barrel ones,so I hesitate to reccomend them--the few I had flooded easy,and were very fussy to tune,one day to the next they wont run right if the weather changes ...one caught fire and burned all my plug wires and distributor cap off,and it melted when it backfired(due to a blown power valve,they are noted for failing in the older ones!)...so I dont use Holley carbs,they seem to hate me..the later ones I know nothing about,but from what I read here,they aren't too much better than the older ones in most cases...others who have them will likely post and tell what they think of them... :crazy:

9. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok well i think i am gonna go with a quadrajet for sure, i dont really think i want a holley. The afb cuts out on the washboard roads near my house and craps out while climbing some of the hills on the farm. the demon carbs....i have never heard anything about them are they easy to tune/keep tuned. I am wanting something that is no fuss and step on the gas and go. with the quadrajet what are some good options to go? what is so special about the edelbrock ones compared to a stock, or even a JET perfomance one?