Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what carb should i run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Nov 29, 2002.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

I have a 350 that i built up and am now choosing a carb. what i really want is the holley truck avenger but can't afford it now. a buddy will give me a 650 holley, 750 holley, or a 850 demon carb /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. which one should i get? i know nothing about the carbs he has other than what they are, as in new or need rebuilt which is fine. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What do you plan on doing with your truck ??? If you plan on any crawling, it seams that the Q-jet is the carb of choice. For mudding, I would think a Holley would be fine. I ran a built little 355 small block (300+ HP) with a Holley 600CFM Double Pumper (Mecanical secondarys) carb. So I'd go with the 650.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i plan on hitting mud and sand.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

In my experience with Holley carbs and off road... you shouldn't use them AT ALL unless it’s that new truck avenger carb. I had a 750 puddle dumper on my 454 and it completely totally unanimously overwhelmingly SUCKED THE BIG ONE. It only took a small bump, and the carb would stumble and die.

Next I would like to talk on the subject of carburetors. I’ll only say it once. If you are going to spend ANYTHING for a carb… save your money and get fuel injection. Ask anyone here that has gone from a carb to EFI. I am in the process of buying an EFI system from www.customefis.com for my truck. He has systems for the SBC that run around $840 complete. Please please please, do some research before you spend your money on a carb. I’ve learned my lesson, and it only cost me $550 for the money I lost on my Edelbrock 1910 carb. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just my .02!

-Dan