Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Carb to get???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 11, 2000.

I have a Edlebrock 1406 Carb and I am beginning to hate this carb. Thinking of buying a new Carb but which one, nothing more than 700cfm? What do you guys have and like?

Larry

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I bought the Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet for my 350 and I have had 0 issues with it!It works great for extream angles,bumpy roads,hammer down and idelin thru a riverbed!! I love it, even over Turkey day week I was runnin the sand dunes out at Pismo beach and slowly came up to a little ramp HAMMERD the throttle and my rig launched off it and came down hard and bouncin eveywere!![​IMG] That carb never skiped a beat, ran like I was on a smooth road[​IMG]. The only thing better would be something like the Holly Pro-Jection system but yer talkin 1500 smakers........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

3. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Burt
    Was it a direct bolt on or did you have to tune it.
    I have a 1405 with a electric choke kit added.
    It starts fine and idles fine but as soon as you take off it falls on its face and picks right back up, I had about all of it I can handle.
    I might check into one like yours.
    Blazin72

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a 1406 on my 350. It runs great outta the box. I guess it's a year old by now.
    What problems do you have?
    Honestly, I never changed the jets, tuned it, or anything. I have a Qjet that leaked gas, so I put the 1406 on and it ran so good I didn't bother.
    -- Mike

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

blazin72 have you tried replacing the accelerator pump that was causing almost the same problem you describe and it now runs great and only cost me $11.99

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

Holley is great for the drag but not for wheelin! The only reason I've got a 750 D.P. is to get that last 35hp to hit 475 on my 406. 900cfm Pro-Jection is on the wish list. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on EBAY ha ha.

"sucks too much gas, 6 telephone polls per gallon"

7. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Mudhog
    I didnt replace the accelerator pump but I did add the off road needle and seat. I thought maybe I did something wrong so I took it back off and double checked it.
    It was to simple to screw it up.
    Where do you get the accelerator pumps at Jegs or Summit?
    Blazin72

8. mudhog

put the offroad needles and seats back in (i love mine)and go to your local parts store and tell them you need a new accelerator pump. i got mine at baxters 4 $11.99 i have the same carb you do but with a manual choke

9. mudhog

oh i almost forgot make sure it is a edelbrock pump i got one in a rebuild kit and it was the wrong one so just make sure they give you the edelbrock one. good luck[​IMG]

10. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Thanks
    Mudhog
    I will give that a try.
    I am desperate right now.
    Blazin72

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The only carb that I would choose over a Q-Jet for an off-road vehicle is Fuel Injection! If I was in your position, I would do some research and work to fix the existing carb before spending big money on a new carb. There's no guarantee that the new one is going to be any easier to get working right, anyway.

Does your engine have any special modifications that make it not work well with the original Quadrajet? Do you still have the original Quadrajet? That is probably the best bet for getting it to work well under all conditions on your vehicle, since this is what is was designed exactly to do.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Blazin72
    Yes it bolted up and ran with no tuneing.
    Sence then I have change a few things like the primary rods for better elevation performance. Also I put a piece of fuel line, about two inches,on top of the float bowl vent to prevent fuel from sloshing into the carb.
    I too had a Qjet that allways leaked fuel everywere even after a complete gasket swap. The Edlebrock Q-Jet doesNOT do this. I am using the 1901 that has the devorced style choke. I think Summit sels it for 380 or so.
    I have had it for 5+ yrs now and has been worth every penny!! I also have the Edelbrock Performer Intake 2101. Great stuff for my 72K5, Love it!![​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Burt. I installed a new 1902 Edelbrock Q-jet and works great when off-roading. The only problem I had was it came with dirt clogging the main jets. Since this was my first carb installatin, I thought the problem was me tuning it wrong, until I finally tore it up and found the problem.

Your other best option would be to buy a TPI from a Camaro or Firebird. You can find them cheap on ebay. The problem is that installation is not as easy as with a Carb.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]