Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What carb would be best for me?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Mar 22, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey...! I am thinking of buying a new carb. I wanted to rebuild mine but I am not quite ready to tackle this on my own yet because of lack of time and knowledge. I thought about having someone else do it...but most want like $200 to do it. I think I might as well sport the extra cash and buy a brand spanking new one if I am already looking to spend that much. It's 15 years old anyhow and it looks like it for sure and runs horrible. What do you guys recommend I look into getting? I live in CA so I have to get the 50 state legal kind <gag>....I am honestly looking for something if possible that'll not end up taking away from my MPG. I am finally having luck with getting that up some. I don't want it go back down again which was awful. Anyhow....I have a 86 Silverado Blazer K5 350, 5.7L, Vin L, a/c, auto tranny 700R4, 4BBL carb (stock)....um what else info wise do you need? Let me know? Thanks in advance....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Look into edelbrocks and see if they have a street legal design for your app. I'm real happy with mine. I have an older truck so it doesn't have hardly any smog stuff on it. Either that or any parts house can get you an OEM.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

have you thought about fuel injection? it'll be more of an initial payment, but the improved response, mileage, and reliability would make up for most of the cost difference.
    other than that, i don't have much to add.
    don't tell grim.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you want a carb that will work out of the box buy an Edelbrock Q-Jet to match your application! Check Summit Racing for prices and part numbershttp://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I tried an Edelbrock AFB style carb on my 83 and the EGR valve gummed up the works. I would have had to put like 3 inches of spacers on and I'm not about to do that. A rebuild is less money than a new carb, but if you want to spend the money buy the edelbrock qjet. Its about 400-500 bucks but its brand spanking new.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Edelbrock doesn't make any carbs that have TPS or MC solenoids....Holley II's are your only choice if you have one or both of those electrical devices on your carb, which I'm pretty sure '86 had at LEAST the TPS.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Q-Jets kick a$$! I've never really heard anyone complain about when its in good working order. The $200 quote seems kinda high. Your best bet is to find an old timer with his own shop. The only problem is that the real hot shots are hard to find. My guy has been at since the late fifties and specializes in carbs. He only charged me $88 in labor to redo mine. I had him redo my distributor (EVERYTHING was shot in) and set things back in order, all told it was just under $400. The cool part about finding guys with their own shops is that if you're half-way knowledgeable you can sit there and shot the [censored] about cars. He showed me all the stuff he had to go with my distributor and we chatted for over an hour.

[​IMG]

9. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

The 200 i am paying to have mine rebuilt is including him to come out and take the carb off of the truck, he is bringing it back rebuilt, reinstalling it and replacing all my hoses and setting my timing. I don't think that is unfair. The rebuild kit alone is 57.00 and this other piece on the carb is 30 bucks. I think 200 is fare price for a rebuild. A rebuilt carb is 219.00 for my blazer, and doesn't include any labor and more than likeley crap.

10. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Also, I have heard that Holley rebuilds are complete crap.

11. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Ahh, that would be the rest of the details. Sounds like a good deal. If he'll do all that for ya, maybe you can tag along and watch him set it. Thats a great way to learn something new. Experience is a great teacher.

[​IMG]

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I HATE Holleys and the AFB type carbs! QJ's are the only way to go. I just replaced my QJ on my 85 K30 with a BRAND SPANKING NEW QJ from Edelbrock. Sure, it was costly at around $425.00, but it pays off in the long run. My buddy who is a carb guru tuned and set it to perfection. No complaints as of today. Matter of fact, that carb made the truck run alot better than when I first bought it. Just my .02.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Q-jet rebuild.
    Any high perf guys check out "How to build horsepower vol 2, carburetors and intakes" by David Vizard SADesign
    Chapter 8 1st paragraph, "The potential of the Q-jet carb is vary much understated with in the perf. fraternity" in it he explains how to "cut up" a q-jet for better performance. Good reading! I've got it sitting next to my thrown at home.

Sorry ChevCalGirl, didn't men to get off the subject like that, but my vote (duh) is with the q-jet.
    The bok is NOT about rebuilding it, Also, I think you need some "triger time" to step up to this kind of stuff.

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey you live nearby me....where did you get fuel injection on your ride? Was it around this area? If so where and how much? That is something for sure I will not tackle on my own. It's too technical. I'd love to get it but the cost would be my main hang up....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

15. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock q-jet, or rebuild yours not that hard. Rebuild kit will be around 15-20.

16. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

The Q-Jet is where it's at. Check out Jet's carb. legal rebuilds. Edelbrock is also is rebuilding Q-Jet's. Look into Peterson's OffRoading most recent issue for some more info.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would also go with the Q-Jet as I've posted before. I've tried the AFB Edelbrock (Performer) and it is sweet on the street but trash when you thrash (feel like a poet this morning - ahhh). Anyway, I tried the Edel AFB and returned it in less than 48 hours at the advise of their own tech people (Edel's) who told me that even the off-road kit would not bring it up even close to QJet level off road. Also, I've run Holleys years ago before I figured out that Holley is mostly hype. Even back in my racing days I didn't like Holley. Seemed like it was impossible to keep tuned and didn't like to run well unless wide open most of the time. Fine on the strip but my cars were mostly dual-purpose daily drivers so I hated the Holleys. But that's just me, some people love them and they are easy to work on and modify. Off-road, they got the same kind of problems as the Edel AFB. Only exception is I think they are popular in the mud bogs and maybe the dunes if that is your focus. Just don't take an AFB or Holley into the rocks or twisted up without a good starter and battery. Over all and all around with a carb, you can’t beat a Q-Jet and the Edel is (to me) the ultimate Q-Jet out of the box regardless of what you are doing.

On injection, that is the ultimate. Holley does make a really nice bolt on injection and there are a number of others. Easy bolt on and relatively isolated wiring harness/computer. I’ve never used one but I think that would be the ideal if ya got the green. There are also adapter harnesses that will allow you to use a TBI/TPI setup retro'd to your engine. Me, I just bought a complete TBI 350 with under-hood and in cab harness (with the computer) out of a running Sub to use in my rig which was missing the original diesel.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.