Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Carb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by getitup, May 21, 2003.

1. getitup

getitup Registered Member

Well when I bought my 75 Jimmy (for $300) 3 weeks ago it had the original 250 straight 6 in it and that just wasnt gonna cut it for me. So I quickly swaped in a 350. I borrowed a Carter carb from a friend, but it doesnt seem to be workin right. The carb sat in his garage for a long time. So my question is what kind of carbs are you guys using? What do you recommend? It is just a regular 350 with a Edlebrock intake and headers. I need something fairly cheap. I dont know much about carbs I just want something that will work good until I swap in TPI. Thanks for the help.

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Summitracing.com has reman edelbrock 600 cfm carbs for only $183. Those ones will work and within 90 days if it fails theyll replace it.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get a new one. Don't buy a reman. I did, and I wish I'd bought a new one.

Traded it to a guy for a new one anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I run an edelbrock performer 750 on my 350sb. But it is modified and cammed a bit. It came out of my chevelle, I may switch to another carb, maybe a 650, once I recam for low end if the 750 is too much.

5. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

well here is my .02...
    It is funny that above is mentioned to NOT get a reman edelbrock carb. I bought a new one 10 years ago and it worked well. I got a reman just last weekend and get this: one of the rods was bent! They reused rods and this one was bent beyond use. The step up springs were very rusty! As was the accl pump spring. And, there was dirt in one of the fuel bowls!!
    I have emailed edelbrock and I am interested to see if they even return my email. We will see if this company stands behind their products.

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have friends that run both Edelbrocks and Holleys and my old q-jet beats them everytime we get into steep incline situations. You can probably get a cheap q-jet from the junk yard and get a rebuild kit to fix it up. I have never done this myself but I have heard that it is not that difficult.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have friends that run both Edelbrocks and Holleys and my old q-jet beats them everytime we get into steep incline situations. You can probably get a cheap q-jet from the junk yard and get a rebuild kit to fix it up. I have never done this myself but I have heard that it is not that difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree q-jets are so nice......

i had a q-junk on all my trucks.. never adjusted them and they always ran......
    i then finally needed a carb. I had a holley 650 spreadbore... ran really good. even with a bad portion valve... so i had my dad re-build it... still ran ok but the bowls were leaking... so i ran out and bought a new one for my truck... was like $435!!!!!! non spreadbore so i put it on.... Talk about a loss of power.... can we say JUNK!!!!!!!

but i kept it and it is still on my truck. No i dropped in a 1991 caprice 9C1 police motor and the truck runs ok. Romp on the gas and it is like the truck is starving for fuel.... so my next is plain and simple.... put a q-jet back on which i know a guy that has one for $50 brand spankin new in the box!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

go and get a edelbrock 1406 i have one and if you adjust it
    right it works great

9. acablik

acablik Registered Member

I say Q-Jet. They are cheap, reliable and can be built and tuned however you may need.

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What kind of Carter? A Quadrajet, an AFB, what? If it's a Quadrajet go buy a rebuild kit from Summit for $37. Edelbrock makes a nice rebuild kit that comes with good gaskets. You'll have to buy a float from the local auto parts store.

A new carburetor is a waste of money. Only the mechanical-secondaries squarebores can compete with a Quadrajet. The rest of the squarebores suck.

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my 1406 came out of the box and on to a 454. adjusted the idle screws and it runs perfect.never had that one die offroad....but i also havent done n e thing to extreme with it since i got it. on my other 454 i have the 1407 or 1408(one of the two) and the only time it died on me was when i went into a spin on a slick road. but ive raced a heep grand cheerokee, a chevy p/u, and a new firebird(as new as they get fore they quit makin them) and i whooped the [naughty word] outta every single one. i was scared with the primaries...then i opened up the secondaries. it seems like after everytime i get out of it im shaking....hmm....but n e wayz. back to the carbs....

NITRO

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get a Q-jet from Jet Perf... sposed to be purdy kick ass. Or if ur hurtin for $, u could prolly find a used one here on ck5 cheap and rebuilt it urself.

j

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have an Edelbrock 1406 and wouldn't recommend it for an offroad carb. Dies ALL THE TIME on inclines and bouncy situations. My friend has the Edelbrock Qjet and it rules. If I had more $$ thats what mine would get, but for now it is going to get an offroad needle and seat and we will see what that does this weekend.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

go to www.i-5automotive.com, get their phone number and order a quadrajet. i paid 240 plus 10 dollar shipping and had mine in 3 days. these are just as good as jet perf. all original plating and coloring and they even put a plug you can remove to adjust your APT ( dont know what APT means ? do some searching and reading on the internet and you will see that q-jets are great carbs). my carb is hitting like fuel injection and i get great mpg.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 1404, 500 CFM, and I agree, it sucks off road. All the bouncing makes it die.

I'm converting to TBI, I think. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. getitup

Thanks for all the info. So far it sounds like Q-jet is the way to go. I dont really want to rebuild one because I dont know too much about them. EFI I know. I just want something until I can get TPI in the truck. Thanks again.

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If you can figure out EFI, you can figure out a carb.

18. getitup

Yeah your right I could figure it out but I guess Im too lazy to give it a try. I also dont see any advadtages to go with a carb rather than efi, except for cost. The only reason I want a carb for now is so I can drive it rather than look at it while I wait for my tpi plans to come together.