Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What caused my 205 to get stuck in 4-low?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 18, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

as the designated driver tonight, I stopped by a hill on my way home to give my druck friends a little roller-coaster feeling in theier stomaches..I lock the hubs and put the case in 4 lo and crawled up the hill...I got to the top and tried to get the case out of 4 lo and it wouldn't budge...I put the tranny in neutral, unlocked the hubs, and rolled back and forth a bit and still wouldn't budge...usually it just requires a light jerk of the shifter and it shifts..so I decide to pull it a little hard and the bolt that holds the shifter in the adapter broke a chunk of the adapter off..so I drove home in Low range and removed the shifter and I pried the case out of 4 low with a pry bar...it pried pretty easily...so what gives...one idea I had is that my front drive shaft is an inch longer than it should be b/c I had it built with off-set Zero-Rated in mind to scoot my front axle forward a little bit..Is it possible that the driveshaft bottomed out and caused things to bind a bit in the case?I guess I can pull the case apart when I replace my adapter...

Chris

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My '85 K30 has this same "problem" to it sometimes, too. No clue what to tell you though.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im not very sure if there is a linkage on those things, but try lubericateing it, or put a shifter extension on there, i know my np208 shifter isnt very long, but my sm465 shifter is, i dunno im just throwing this out in the open.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. fortcollinsram

I recently went through the entire case about 3 weeks ago...I cleaned it, sandblased the case, cleaned all the bearings, all new seals, etc...it shifter smoothly up until tonight...keep in mind it was a STEEP hill...another 3-degrees steeper and I probably would've been backing down...could the case possible "lock" itself into gear? i dunno...I will get on swapping in a new adapter and I will see if it is better...like I said, it slid out of 4 low pretty easy using the prybar, which had a similar lever arm that the stock shifter does...

87sm465np208 :
    If I had a 208, i'd be checking the shiter linkage..the 205 shifter is as simple as they come...the shifter is bolted directly to the adapter whar it =pivots and moves a plate that drives 2 shift rails in and out of the case...

Chris

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I had this similar problem this afternoon. I just put the truck in gear and rolled slowly until it went into neutral. I think my problem is that my home made shift rail plate is binding up. It might be possible that yours is worn a little and happened to get in a slightly different position than normal and hung up. And when you used the prybar it pulled both rails evenly.

6. fortcollinsram

yeah, i think the reason that the shifter bolt lug ripped off the adapter is because I put to much muscle into the shfter bolt when tightening it a few weeks ago..the shifter was still rattleing and the bolt was getting tight...but like always, I just kept going...There is a crack in the lug off the adaptet that has a good bit of rust on it so it must have happened when I installed the shiter...and tonight when I tried to shift the think with my gorilla arms, it just brok off...

Chris

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I use to have those problems!

Now I always shift on-the-fly and gear changes are a snap.
    I drive it in 4lo till I need more gears. I then put the tranny in N and shift from 4lo to 4hi (or 2hi if I am going to hit pavement). This has always worked for me alot better then doing it while stopped.

8. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I do exactly what Triaged does. Makes it so much easier.

Evan

9. fortcollinsram

I will try that...before this iproblem it always shifted smoothly, but somtimes I would have to "rock" the truck a bit to loosen so stuff up in the case until it shifted...

Chris