Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what causes a miss?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Sep 29, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

my buddy heard my engine today and he thinks its missing a bit on the passenger side? what would cause this?

dizzy being off a notch?

thanks

2. westtexask5

westtexask5 Registered Member

I would check the obvious things like plugs wires and such. from there i would move on to the valvetrain /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you shure it's missing? A miss is usually something you KNOW its doing or not. I would check for a fouled plug or burnt wire, those are usually your standard culprits. Then I would move on to a really corroded cap or bad connection with one wire. Then I would check my firing order but when thats off there are always at least 2 missfiring cylinders and there is no way to not relize it. Have you checked your timing? I don't know if it will miss with the dist a notch off or not, I doubt it, would think it would just screw up your timing. The worst case scenerio would be a bad hole.

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ill get new plugs tomorrow and check all the wires. i did hit the plugs with a wire wheel, but who knows. ill check everything again.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak????

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

very well could be. i know it has a small one on that side that they said they would fix, so im hoping to drive it there tomorrow as long as i dont get pulled over. (no inspection yet)

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wire brushing spark plugs isnt a good thing to do--I learned at small engine repair school that using a power wire brush leaves scratches on the porcelin around the center electrode,and can cause the spark to jump to the side of the shell of the plug,rather than fire across the gap like its supposed to.This may or may not have anything to do with your miss,but its food for thought--I always cleaned plugs with a wire brush,I didnt think it would hurt them,but I geuss when you have only 1 plug in a 1 lung engine,its got to be perfect for it to run. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif