Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What causes hot starters to lack power?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Jul 11, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ive allways had a tough time starting my caddy motor when its hot. Yesterday i tested the batery and it was no good so i got a new one and still does the same thing. It turns over awsome when cold beut then after it gets warmed up it acts like the its nerly dead again and turns over ridiculously slow. So im thinkin that its the strter getin hot and not working as good. So what about a starter gettngi hot makes it work bad? I d like to pull it appart tomorow and see if i can get it figured out just by checking to make sure everything inside the starter seems proper. So if you guys have some tips on what i should be looking for or have any remedies fer me id gladly take your advice:ears:

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its your starter solenoid.
    Sometimes guys will get a ford solenoid that mounts on the inner fender well to replace the chevy solenoid that is a part of the starter down by the headers.

Heat creates Resistance in conductors in electrical circuits
    You starter solenoid gets hot, its resistance goes up. Resistance equals voltage drop. This means more voltage is being wasted away to that resistance and less of the voltage is getting to the starter motor where it needs it to crank your engine over.

3. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

so if i do it just like that then theoreticly my probblems would be solved eh?

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I still dont quite understand how that setup works. but at least now i know what casues it.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it removes the electrical portion of the starter solenoid from the starter and mountes it away from the heat. The one on the starter now just does mechanical work.

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

This was the first thing I did to my K5. It wouldnt start after I shut it off at the inspection office, so my next stop was to autozone for a furd starter solenoid. Has worked like a champ ever since!

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one reason..

When copper wires get hot,the resistance increases quite a bit--reduces the amount of current that can flow thru--and the current itself heats the wires up even more..a vicious cycle!..this reduces the amperage available to crank the motor over..it gets converted into heat,rather than making the starter crank over..

A battery that is on its last legs can harm a starter motor and other electrical devices..much like a "brownout" in AC current does..it can roast a starter motor by running it on lower voltage than it was designed for..and once they get toasted,the starter windings are permanently affected,and it'll never be at 100% efficiency again..

I am skeptical of the "remote" solenoid kits..the stock GM solenoid still has to pull the starter drive into the flexplate..all the "remote" solenoid does is give back a bit of voltage normally "lost" in all the wiring from the ignition switch,to the neutral saftey switch,that kicks the solenoid on the starter in.....

If you use a "short" solenoid off a later metric GM starter,along with a heat sheild,and make sure all the wires and connections are tight ,clean,and the wires themselves aren't all corroded,you'll likely get the same results as the remote solenoid gives....a dash mounted pushbotton wired directly from battery to the solenoid has cured even the most stubborn "hot start" problems I had in my 400 SB in one truck I had...its wiring was gangrene,and adding the pushbutton was much easier than replacing the harness..I used 10 ga wires to hook it up to avoid voltage drop..:crazy:

9. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

great reply I was just about to add this info but you beat me to it.

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Here's the answer to your problem,,,,that is all....

[​IMG]

11. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

So if i were to do the remote soloniod, How would i wire it up? would i extend the actuator wire up to the ford solonoid? and then do i just hook the main power wire back up to the stud it on the starter that it was originaly on? anyone got a digram. and anyone know where i can get a shield or got an autzone part number?

12. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

im sure it is but it is probly also about $200 and ive only got about $50.

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

125 bucks through jeggy's.....

JEG'S Prostarter Starters

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Product images may differ from actual product appearance.

Our Prostarter Starters are built with full, ball bearing construction, instead of bushings that can prematurely wear out. Weighs only 10.5 pounds. Billet aluminum adapters feature up to 4 adjustable mounting positions (except 555-10002 and 555-10010) allowing more header or oil pan clearance. 4.41:1 gear reduction (others offer 3:1) with cranking power for engines that have as much as 15:1 compression. 80-90 Amp draw. Aluminum solenoid housing is sealed with O-rings for added protection. GM starters come with bolts and shims.

var busy = false;function Add2WishList(form, catEntryId){if (!busy) {busy = true;form.action="InterestItemAdd";form.catEntryId.value = catEntryId;form.URL.value='InterestItemDisplay';form.submit();}} Starters [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    555-10001 SB/BB-Chevy Starter, 153-168 Tooth, Black Finish
    More Details $125.99
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Dang i gues i'll start savin up. Untill then does anyone have a ford solenoid wiring digram?

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Later on tonight I'll try to scan a diagram. Meanwhile, look at MADelectrical.com I think it is. Mark Hamilton. I don't know if he's still in biz, but I used his kit. I haven't tried Dec. in Mammoth, but so far it starts now.:D
    Ooops, I mean Ford solenoid.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  16. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Give me a few minutes and I will post up the writeup I have.

Here it is... The diagram at the bottom is what I used. READ the article a few times, and you should have a good understanding of what to do. If not, message me and I can help.

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

There is a slight difference in the schematic depending whether or not you have HEI or MSD, or other electronic ignition(for remote solenoid).

18. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Very true, but it only cost me $8 cause I had the extra wires, and it has worked fine on a 'who knows how old' starter for a year now. With some further research more info could be found for specific applications, but this worked for me and I have HEI.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Dude, I was just looking for Gisi to come back with what da'kine ignition does he have.:D :haha:
    Did you find the write-up or diagram?
    I found mine, its copyrighted. I'll try a little paste-up, but the scan I'm not sure of.

20. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

:haha: :eek1: