Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what causes oil to blow from dip stick hole?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lazerus, Jul 14, 2003.

1. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hey, that rhymes /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...
    anyway- Was working on the timing and taking short little drives around when I get back to garage the dipstick has been pushed about 1 inch out of the dip stick tube and oil has been coming out out of the top of the tube AND on the other side of the motor oil is being pushed out of the PCV breather filter that pushes into the valve cover...
    I first thought too much oil, but it reads on the full mark (not above it). The only thing I can think of off hand is I added an oil cooler but cant figure out what that has to do with it... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Thanks for the help!

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

is your pcv valve good? when you shake it can you hear the check ball move? spary it with some brake clean or some carb n choke cleaner to get some of the gunk out and see if that helps. also check to make sure the line to the pcv is direct manifold vacumm, not ported from the carb.

-Scott

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Thats a bad thing. Mine did that last year. I tried using two PCV's, one on each side, and it only got worse. It turned out to be a broken ring and a piston. Hope yours is a little better news.

4. lazerus

I am out to check the PCV valve.... I have my fingers crossed that is it....
    thanks!

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Too much blowby. The ring's/cylinder's are worn allowing compression to leak past, causing excess pressure in the crankcase.

For year's all vehicle's had a "roaddraft tube, meaning when vehicle was in motion it had negative crankcase pressure. When the ring's/cylinder's started to get worn, oil would blow out the dipstick tube. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i had the problem one night at close to a hundred MPH(bad ju jue no oil that fast) but i got it shut off and coasted to a stop. added some oil and drove slowly to the parts store. checked my PCV valve and it was BAD. put a new one in and no more problems, ever.
    Grant

7. lazerus

ahghhhghg. Doh. That PCV valve sounds good, looks good, and even works. I think this means bad stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Also, I noticed that the PCV valve has fresh oil in it, I think it is sucking oil. Is this consistant with too much blowby/worn rings-cylinders?

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hate to burst your bubbles...but u cant tell if a PCV valve is good by shaking it. if u have n e doubt, replace it. they r supposed to b replaced every 18-20 thousand miles

NITRO