Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what causes the brake light to come on?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Pookster, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

in my 92 pickup- the brake light will come on shortly after passing about 35mph- Is there anyway to diagnose whats tripping this?

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Not sure. My 93 flickers because there isn't enough tension on the e-brake cable. One is busted & I haven't felt like replacing it. Try pulling up on the pedal w/your foot to see if that stops it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

body lift did mine in it stays on all the time but its adjusted correctly

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Could be an ABS problem. The lights also come on when low on fluid but that usually just stays on, not coming on after 35mph... I would have the codes read and it's most likely an ABS problem. But check your fluid level to be safe.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

could be, I know the ABS isnt functioning correctly. Heck, it isnt functioning at all. Could it be because the P.O put two different sized tires front and rear?

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    could be, I know the ABS isnt functioning correctly. Heck, it isnt functioning at all. Could it be because the P.O put two different sized tires front and rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

ABS only detects if the wheel has locked up or if it is spinning, I don't think that different size tires would matter. Is your 92 4 wheel ABS or just rear wheel ABS? If it's just rear wheel then it wouldn't know anything at all about the front tire size.

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If it has 4 wheel ABS, the different size tires between front and rear will throw a fault code at higher speeds. The smaller tires will be spinning at more RPM's then the larger ones and the ABS module will pick up on this and set a code.