Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what causes this sound?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 5, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it started last nite. when i turn my steering wheel, i hear this screech. almost like someone was running fingers on a chalk board or scraping metal on metal. i know this is NOT my ps pump/belt. sounds like it's inside my column just below the wheel. any thoughts? fwiw, my ignition cylinder is broken.

2. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Colby, is your blazer taking a toll from the AZ wheeling? Your truck's been coming up with problems since you left AZ...
    Not sure about that sound though... my blazer shudders when I give it gas from a stopping point then goes away.

3. colbystephens

no, i didn't really beat on it at all in AZ. with marv and kert spotting me, i didn't bash anything. :) everything is just old and the PO thought he was a wiring genious. gonna teach myself some wiring stuff today. really, i've only had one problem since AZ - the ignition cylinder. i guess i also had a bad tank of diesel, cuz i haven't had that problem again and i've been in similar climates/conditions.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

maybe should turn it upside down and shake it....! :dunno:
    [​IMG]
    Marv :doah:

5. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Marv, you're funny

I do hope you're able to locate the problem causing that sound... kinda hard to help from here.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's the spring loaded connection to the horn ring just under the steering wheel. Sometimes a shot of WD-40 will fix it (after you get inside). Fix your key cylinder already! It's a 30 minute job once you buy the right tools.

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Colby,

I did a write up about tightening the bolts of a tilt column HERE. You've got to take out the lock cylinder to do the job, so it's a good pictorial of how to get in there. FWIW, I didn't need any special tools to get to it. I was able to hold down my lock plate with one hand as I re-attached the snap ring with the other.

8. colbystephens

makes sense. i screwed w/ my horn the other day, now it doesn't work. :( for some reason, i can't get the horn "pin" to contact all the necessary points at the same time anymore. seems like i need a bit longer pin, but that can't be teh case. :(

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Are you talking about a sound only while the column is turning? This could be the horn contacts or just something rubbing because you need to tighten the column. You should do a visual inspection under the dash and under the hood though, to make sure nothing has come loose and is making contact.

If it is screeching while you hold the steering wheel over, that must be the pump. I assume you've already checked the fluid level.

10. colbystephens

yeah, it's just when the wheel is moving. i know it's not the pump. i think it is the horn contacts. add another thing to the to do list. :(

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

whole thing?

Gee-with a busted ignition,and now noises coming from the colum--I'd say just swap in another one..its faster than fixing even just the ignition switch would be..I've had little luck "fixing" steering colums,I usually just put the whole thing in..if your lucky you can find one that still has the keys in it at a boneyard,so you wont need to mess with the lock cylinder..

I have two "non tilt" colums here in my parts pile,that I saved when I scrapped 2 trucks,just in case the one in my truck gives me greif..I sold my 79 C10 before having to tighten its loose tilt wheel up,and I'm not unhappy that I didn't have to take it apart!..I'd have probably put one of my non tilt ones back in instead,had I kept it much longer..:crazy: