Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What CB in your trail rig?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by big pappa b, Jan 14, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Just looking to see what type/brand CB y'all have in your trucks. Any specific features you had to have? I was just talking to the CB shop and they said a CB with a RF gain adjustment is good for when riding close of course it costs a little more:thinking:

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On trails you are on AM. So you really don't need a sideband radio. Personally for a strait AM 40 channel CB, I recomend a older Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Preferabley one made in the Philippines. I still see them on Ebay alot.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have 3 radios that I run depending on what mood I'm in - RCI-2950, NorthStar 4000, and a Cobra 29 GTL. Like Z3 said, the older Cobra 29's are nice radios and they are very dependable. If you want new, maybe check out the Uniden Pro510XL. It's real small so mounting is easier.

The rf gain is to decrease the sensitivity of your receive. You shouln't need it unless someone close to you(within 30 feet) is talking on a radio with LOTS of power.

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm running that Uniden 510, and it's perfect for the trail. I can talk to my friends within about 1/2 mile in the trees and hills, about 3 in town. If you're just looking for something for the trail, I'd recommend the Uniden. It's smaller than a paperback book! I just mounted it to my dash, with velcro and a quick disconnect so I can take it off when I'm in town and the top is off.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run one step up from that Uniden 510. I have the PA feature and another feature. I like the radio. I works ok for trail use. It sometimes has problems if you are really close to someone you are trying to talk to but it works damn good for the money I have invested in it. I have a Mag Mount Wilson 1000 antenna to go with it and it works well too.

Harley

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have 2 modded by my father realistic ssb radios with "stuff" . I also have for long trips a repeater book and magnet mount 2 meter antenna and an amp with cig lighter cord for my 2 meter Alinco HT , or my old Kenwood HT . Someday I will pass my code and upgrade my license and have just a single tri band radio in the truck so I wont need the cb and the HT . I have a nmo mount on my truck with my am antenna on it right now , but I am gonna get it mounted lower soon since I keep scraping trees :D

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Would you mind repeating this in english please :haha: :haha:

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

SSB = Single Side Band. Stuff = Almost anything a 2 way radio fan can think of, LOL. (Note; CB is 11 meter)

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The stuff is the extra channels , I don't use them but they are for bragging rights :pimp: The other stuff is my amatuer radio 2 meter stuff ( around 144 mhz ) :D

10. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I run a Uniden PC68LTW in my rig right now. I've also got a Uniden PC66XL from a pickup I used to have, basically the same radio. I run a 102" whip antenna on the street and a 4' Firestik on the trail.

I ended up putting the antenna mount on the driver's side of the hood using a hood-channel mount. I was able to tune the 4' pretty well with an SWR meter, so it's not a terrible location.

Both radios talk pretty good. The LTW model has a PA and weatherband, although I don't use either very much.