Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Clutch Are You Using Behind Your 6.2L??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by mosesburb, Feb 5, 2007.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, kinda like the title says, what clutch are you using?? O.E., Centerforce, Luk, etc?? Do you like it?? Would you use the same brand/style again??
    Any input appreciated.
    Thanks

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have used nothing but stock replacements from Napa so far with good luck. In fact when I lost the last motor I held onto the clutch setup to put into my next truck since it needs a 700R4 replaced.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is what I used too.
    The only time I had a problem was when I took it in the mud and spent a good 20 minutes in a mud pit going back and forth to get unstuck, and then drove it for a year without washing it or taking ti appart and getting rid of the dirt, I ended up with chunks of steel falling and lost 3 of the 5 springs. :confused:

4. kennyw

Doesn't sound like any clutch would hold up to that abuse though. Packing the clutch with mud would be a bad thing to do in the first place. Did you have a dust cover on the bellhousing?

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I run a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and love it.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a Hays 12.25" "Diesel Super Truck" clutch. Specifically made for pulling trucks apparently. Decent, engages smooth, but even with the hydro clutch the pedal feel is on the heavy side...almost as heavy as with the old mechanical linkage clutch I used to have.

Rene

7. mosesburb

Good information here.
    I was wondering about the Centerforce units as to whether they released smooth or not. Having sold auto parts for about 17 years I have heard my fair share (and then some) of horror stories regarding aftermarket clutches. Because of that, I have always used GM clutches because I have never had any problems with them even when they are used way beyond their rated capacities. The only problem with the factory clutches are they have gone waaay up in price over the past few years, so I figured I'd solicit opinions on aftermarket units to try to decide which way I should go.
    Thanks for the input.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well it wasn't the thick mud, it was slush, a pit filled with water and truck ran thru it till the water became a little thick, so cover or no cover mud got everywhere.
    :D
    Now I try and avoid mud not jump into it.
    :o

9. kennyw

I have a feeling a situation like that is the reason someone cut a hole in the bottom of one of my hydro bellhousings... I personally will just avoid the mud holes in anything I don't want to take apart to clean.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

FortCollinsRam told me that alot of the Centerforce parts had Luk stamped in them when he had a Centerforce. He now runs a Luk Pro Gold and loves it. I will put a Luk in my Jeep when I install a new clutch.

I don't know what your application is exactly but alot of the high power Dodge guys run Southbend clutches. That is what I am going to put in my Dodge when it needs a clutch.

Harley

11. mosesburb

Yeah, Luk makes the only aftermarket clutch I would consider putting in a vehicle. We installed them for years at the shop and never had any problems with them. Good Stuff.

I agree on the South Bend Clutch for the Cummins. That is what I got for my Cummins, but they don't make one for a early 6.2L (nor do I need something of that caliber for it).