Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Coil To Run???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Feb 27, 2006.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Hey so during the hedder install on my 89 blazer a couple of the accel plug wires pulled apart. So i figured time for some better wires so a friend of mine tells me about MSD 8.5mm wires. Impressed by hearing about lower resitance and all that shat i called around on sunday and found a pair so went and picked them up and payed about $88 for the MSD Black 8.5 wire set. So now im curious on replacing my 2 year old stock gm coil for a fancy go fast one.
    Liking Msd so far any coils that would be best with my 355tbi?

ill post up some pics of the progress so far (its been hard due to the design of the hedders.:doah:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and of couse my back up trail rig just needs some swampers on the back
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  2. George_Pimpdaddy

any advise anyone or am i good with my stock hei for now?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock stuff in good condition has always worked great for me. Ultra high compression motors and racers typically can benefit from the upgraded ignition stuff, I've never had any want to improve over the properly working factory parts.

MSD is a pretty good company from all accounts (always a few bad parts when mass produced) so I doubt you could go wrong buying their parts, just comes down to whether YOU want to buy them or not.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Get a MSD coil. check www.summitracing.com Your stock HEI starts to take a crap over 4000 RPM. Ive used MSD wires, ignition, distributor, cap/rotor, and coil for years in 4x4's and "hot rods" eith no complaints.

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I upgraded using the Pertronix Flame Thrower ignition coil and ignition module and I noticed improved throttle responce and starting. Actual power gains were minimal, maybe a horse or 2, but I recomend to upgrade both the coil and ignition module at the same time. Stock HEI are fine for low compression, low power, stock engines. The 305 in my truck is actually out of a 1983 L69 Firebird, so compression is about 9.5. Now not really saying that really requires the upgraded ignition, but I do it to all my vehicles anyway.

P.S. Make sure you keep those wires as far from those headers as possible. You don't want to burn a set of MSDs, it would be a costly mistake.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i haven't been a fan of Pertronix since they had that massive recall on marine electronic conversions... used to install a ton of em, then had about 6 fail in 6 months.... :eek1: :doah: :haha:

always have gotten a quality product from MSD tho....

8. Chevy305

I had no idea there was a recall.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Roykin =:thumb: Pertronixs does hav a few problems. Espically Marine. I dont think it likes water.
    MSD Blaster coils are good. Better than stock.
    I like DUI stuff:DUI coils They also make a very good dist module that works real good on TBI trucks.

10. ryoken

i always forget about DUI.... :doah: they've been around for awhile now... make a nice dizzy....

yep. Pertronix f*cked me on that gig... magnets in the reluctor where held in with some seliphane tape stuff... one prob, if it warmed up, it freaked and expanded, letting the magnets come out... wipe the pickup out, etc.. they fixed it, came out with new reluctors... but it did cause us big headaches... :doah: :haha:

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Nice to know they got it fixed (I hope) Pertronix is a easy/cheap ignition upgrade for older points ign's.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

BTW Pimpdaddy. Trun your aircleaner back over and hook up your stock CAI. You will make more power with TBI if you are not sucking hot engine compartment air. The stock system delivers more than enough air for your stock TB.

13. ryoken

i always push the $300 Merc dizzy on the boaters these days.... :wink1: and its usually a pair. :eek1: :haha: it IS a nicer piece... i'm definitely more confident sending a boat to Fla with that...

but heck yeah, for the average car guy, can't beat that $80ish upgrade.... :D

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I would say any coil but Accel

15. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what about summit coils? i need a new cap and rotor too and thought i might as well throw in a better coil but cant afford msd stuff or petronix stuff.

16. Chevy305

17. George_Pimpdaddy

i like the looks of the MSD hei kit wonder if i could find that around here in edmonton alberta?