Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What color is Dexcool??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Apr 26, 2001.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This is only a little off-topic...

I was adding a bit of antifreeze to the wife's 97 Eclipse and noticed (for the first time...[​IMG]) that the antifreeze isn't the "normal" happy fluorescent green, but is a blue color!! Is this Dexcool? If it is, is there a problem with adding a little (maybe 1 cup) normal antifreeze to it? I hope not, I already did...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Dexcool is Red. My wifes 97 Pontiac runs it. I don't know about mixing it. I know the dealership said that if I didn't use it it would void the warranty.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Dexcool is actually kind of orange. It is still ethylene glycol based, like regular green antifreeze, so the two are basically compatible. Dexcool contains anti-corrosive additives and some other stuff that are supposed to make it useable in the car for longer. However, GM never got it to work quite how they wanted, so it is adviseable to ignore the "100,000 mile" sticker in the engine compartment and change it more frequently. It is 100% OK to put the Dexcool into older systems. Putting the green into a newer car just increases the rate of corrossion in the system and shortens the service interval, but it doesn't jack up the whole cooling system or anything.

If it is blue, I have no idea what it is, maybe Mitsubishi uses their own coolant? Many automakers in Europe are going to non ethylene-based coolants, I know. If it is not Dexcool or something like Prestone, it is probably best not to mix it. Check with your local Mitsi dealer.

<font color=green>"MAN THOUGHT HURT BUT SLIGHTLY DEAD" --Providence (R.I.) Journal</font color=green>

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Could be one of those "Eco-Friendly" coolants too. Did you pick the car up new or used?? Ever mess with the coolant? All else fails, ask the dealer. If it has something special from the factory, it may be mentioned in your owners manual too.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I remember reading that the Dex Cool was devoid of silica, unlike the green stuff, which was one of the reasons that warranties could be lengthened. Water pump seals don't like Silica (basically sand) although lots of people get lots of milage using the green stuff exclusively. Its cheaper for one thing!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>