Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What color paint? Continuation of insane paint thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 22, 2006.

?

What color should I make the Burb?

1. Sunburst Yellow

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Gloss Orange

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. Dark Purple

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Hunter Green Gloss

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Harbor Blue

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Gloss Army Green

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. Other (please specify) .. this can also be NEKKID option

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I want to master the technique of rolling and tipping rustoleum. I'm going to try to get a roller, sand paper, and maybe a half pint of color to test out and see how it will come out, maybe I'll try it on my hood. So what color do I try?

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?ddf=162&frm_product_id=18&SBL=1

I might consider using two colors, not sure yet. I'll try to get this paint saturday. I'll test a color and see how it looks.
    Thanks,
    James

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I voted other for PXXXX Pink :thumb:

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

like I said, I like the light olive for more of that military look.. defintely hide imperfections well too..

but I'm getting the impression from your choices your looking for something a little more "outstanding"....

If that's the case, i would say either of the greens (similar to Wally's color) or the orange.. Orange is always cool... Was my original choice before I went copper...

4. 78Suburban

ryoken,

Home depot or Lowes does stock those high density foam rollers you posted up, right?
    thanks,
    James

5. ryoken

I have no idea really... we get all ours from marine supply places.... like i mentioned, be very, very careful what kinda rollers and foam brushes you use... cheap is usually a bad sign.... they really have a tendency to disentagrate and fall apart.. nothing worse than little chunks of foam in your paint or the roller flapping on ya..

the fact the paint isn't catalyzed will help that.. but just be forwarned and keep it in mind when shopping... they will have rollers definitely, probably foam brushes too, just keep what i said in mind..

6. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I like Sunburst Yellow, or Gloss Orange, Grass Green...I'm partial to bright, attention getting colors for mud trucks ;) Plus they just look cooler when they're covered in mud.

P.S. - My truck is black and grey :)

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

8. 78Suburban

Flat black is awsome for a sleeper truck. People with 400 hp motors, 200:1 crawl ratios, flexing over 1000 on the RTI ramp. I'm not one of those people. If I make my piece of junk a sleeper color, it won't be a sleeper, it'll be DEAD!!.. :haha: I'll only be young once, might as well show my arse and have some rediculously cheezy paint :wink1: I may yet change my mind and choose a civil color, I'm sure most of you have picked up on how rediculously indecisive and wishy washy I am :laugh:
    thanks,
    James

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Flat black is also great urban camo. Cops don't give me a second look...anything bright and it might as well be a neon sign that says "Pull me over".

I'm thinking that light olive color for my truck, possibly the semi flat black :crazy:

I actually have a couple gallons of dark metallic red endura that i almost painted my truck with. I came to my senses before i did it though.

Rene

10. 78Suburban

That's a really good point. That never even crossed my mind. If I do ever get the burb streetworthy, cops would really be tempted to scope out whatever they could find wrong with my truck :eek1:
    thanks,
    James

11. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i think flat black would be a good coler tRustyK5 had a good point with it. also think od green or like a dark smoke gray would be good for it :dunno: :D

12. Low76K5

Low76K5 Registered Member

I have always liked matte white. There is an old matte white panel of some sort around here that just glows-no gloss. Maybe you could roll and tip in flat white and see what a clear matte spray coat does to it??? White hides imperfections better than anything and looks great with some chrome or aluminum to set it off. I would think with it's hiding qualities it wouod touch up the best. Also won't absorb the heat so much in the summer. I also have seen a really light shade of gray primer that looked nice, almost a flat silver.
    I think that doing some practice pieces and testing are the key. I bet it's going to look tough whatever way you go.

Scott

13. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Dude, you should totally use roll on chalkboard paint!

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Lots to be said for flats. Mines flat black from the belt line down. I play on trails, so when I come home with new dental work, I just brush over it.
    Now for some strange reason I'm wanting the truck to look a little nice, and I'm polishing the top side.

mud.jpg

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

How about "another camo". Or really push the envelope with a digital camo.

16. 78Suburban

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=36&SBL=1

Is this stuff the same formula as regular Rustoleum? Can I thin it, and roll/tip it the same as the other stuff?

If it is, I'm really thinking John Deer Green :bow: Maybe JD yellow trim? I think it might look pretty :pimp: if I took my time right. I've always been a fan of anything to do with John Deer :wink1:
    thanks,
    James

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Looks to be your reg rust0leum, only in factory match colors. JD Green and Yellow would look cool, using GM two-tone layout(s), there's what, three styles?

18. ryoken

god forbid they give you a pdf data sheet... :crazy: That site tells you nothing... :haha:

anyway, pretty much any paint can be thinned... It too is probably mineral spirits, same as the other, and will list it on the can.. Take a peek before you buy it, which I assume is at the Depot...

19. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I used John Deere Blitz Black, it's a satin black and is tough as nails... Cheap too, through the dealer {JD} I got a gallon of black, a gallon of there buff primer, and a gallon of reducer for under $65.. I used it for the top of the K-5, it was withered and looked like ass. Looks damn good now.

20. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Chalkboard Paint!!!