Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Color should I paint this thing?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, here's the deal... going to start building up a Purdey looking K20/K30 suburban for use as either an offroader, a trailer dragger, or something of that nature. the plan as it sits is for me to basicaly build it up from scratch, using a frame that I plan to clean up and paint, either a rust free 77 Tub, or a 73 tub/body alrady filled with the goods, a 73 454, an SM 465, a NP205, 14BFF rear, and D44/D60 front. all I'll need is a front clip, and I'll have a complete truck... now, for the real question: since I'd like to kinda take a 1/2 a stab at making it look kinda sorta nice, I'm going to put a little more effort into this thing, then I did on teh grey truck (primer and spray on truckbed liner)

so, here's my little poll on what color might go best...

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1014965996Ddragggon">

What color should I paint this thing?
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1">Jet Black
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2">Jet Black with a red Beltne up the middle
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="3">You retard, this is AZ, White is the only option for you!
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="4">White with Tan belt line
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="5">if any 2 pieces of sheetmetal are painted the same, you've failed as a human being.
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="6">Other, and explain yourself...
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>
    -Rich

PS, after this weekend, I'll have 3 1/2 suburbans ( 4 fully titled, vehicles so HA)
    PPS, no I do not belong in a psych ward...

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

"Other" and explanation as follows:
    Nothing like a Red truck, tan interior and exterior trim. Kind of like the Eddie Baure Bronco color scheme, Red w/ tan trim.

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 &amp; 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Red with a Charcol belt line looks really good on the Suburbans. Do you have pics of all of them?

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

no pictures, but I have seen trucks not too much unlike that which I'm describing... red with black/charcol belt line does look really sharp, but I dunno.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I also have to agree with the red with charcoal beltline suggestion...my second choice from blue with white in the 89-91 format...[​IMG]

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/abshort>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Red w/White, Yellow, and Orange Flames. If not, the Red/Charcoal is a good combo.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I like the flames idea.

8. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of a camouflage medium blue -- maybe it'll make you invisible to the naked eyes of the DPS at the right times of day. LOL.

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

.... the eyes of the DPS aren't always nekkid... sometimes they're glazed from overindulgence of Doughnuts.... :-O

-Rich

10. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Black and orange tiger stripes /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've thought about black/orange tiger striping, and might even go with that for the offroading rig... the trick is getting it to look really good...

-Rich

12. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I just remembered the paint job I saw on a late '70's K5 at a gas station (I-17N &amp; Cottonwood exit). This truck was SWEET. It looked like it was painted yellow first, then satin black that was painted over the yellow with a palm leaf (cannibus looking) type pattern all over the truck sheetmetal and top. All ot the trim on the truck was satin black, with very stout heavy gauge steel bumpers (front and rear winches) and black Rockcrawler wheels, all riding on maybe 4-6" of lift. It looked much better than my description, trust me.

I hope I see it again someday...preferably when I have my digital camera onboard!

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

canary yellow with 2 black stripes with pinstripes next to em over the top and get some "SS" tags and put em next to the "SUBURBAN" tags. otherwise red w/ charcoal

14. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Muddysub's on the right track: I wanna do my sub in '69-style Indy Camaro pace car racing stripes -- hugger orange stripes on bone white and include the roof (unlike the camaros). Pinstipes trimming the orange panels of course. I don't care if it looks too much like an ambulance. Cops might not think twice about a big meatwaggon blazin' thru their intersection. Not if they're already legally hyperglycemic from donut overdose.--lol--