Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What color to paint K/5?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, Aug 19, 2001.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Within the next two weeks I'm planning to have the Blazer painted. I'm interested in getting a color that looks good and is also easy to touch-up ('cuz it'll get scratched). I know white is probably the best for this purpose, but I'm so bored of white. I'm leaning towards a medium or dark gray. (The body is in excellent condition, so even a dark shade should look good.) But what about something a bit more colorful? Any suggestions?

Erik

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Just spray can it then when you get a scratch just spray over it ! [​IMG]

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick ! [​IMG]

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

If you use a stock (any make, any year) color code as opposed to a custom color, it will be easier to reproduce down the road. I've been pulling color codes off of new cars for the last year! Got it narrowed down to red, blue, grey, green or black!

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

OD green, :)

Like em big and topless

5. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

6. bitchin4x4

bitchin4x4 1/2 ton status

I would recommend going with a color that is on most hardware stores spray paint shelves. That way you can always touch it up.

I did mine in a custom color, told the autobody guy Bright Ass Yellow, well he made it basically taking urethane clear coat and adding yellow tint. Now I have no idea how to touch it up as I did not get any spare paint. Now I will have to goto to Sherwin Williams or somewhere and have them match it for $30

If it ain't broke, break it!

7. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on what your truck is going to used for. If you're going to be hard on it (lots of rocks and bumping into trees) it doesn't really matter. Touching up paint on a new huge dent kind of defeats the purpose. If this is more of a daily driver or light 4 x 4 driving the skys the limit. I'm planning on painting mine a very dark purple. Not one of those ugly metelflake fishing boat look alike paint jobs. My interior will be either black or dark grey. ANYTHING is better than the paint job I got.[​IMG]

Good luck
    Chris M

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html>http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html</a>

8. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Thanks for responses. I've seriously considered the home-spun spray can remedy, but I'm gonna go for an inexepensive shop job... It'll definitely get scratched cruising among the desert scrub and the pines, but dents are (hopefully) out of the question... So, I'll probably opt for something darker. That hunter orange sure sounds tempting too.

I just wanna add that this group is SOOO much better than the "rec.autos.4x4" newsgroup I've spent years in. No stupid arguments, no crap. What a relief.

Erik

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

We're all one big happy family [​IMG]

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

10. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I'm going to have my 72 JIMMY painted yellow, as close to the stock yellow it is now. I like the yellow, it doesn't show dust too bad. I'm going to get a Miracle job, they have a special every year around Xmas.

11. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I would go with the orange. I think it really stands out and its also fairly easy to touch up. my blazer was orange when I bought it but it was the original paint so it was faded badly.
    I decided that I wanted something that stood out a little more so I went with vivid canary yellow. after I bought the paint we started dismantling the truck to paint it and the insides of the fender and the cowl wern't faded and the orange color looked great. unfortunately I'd already bought my paint. also, I've seen several other blazers recently painted yellow, so the orange would have been a much more original choice. my 2cents

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

12. 72Blazerod

13. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I think The body should be painted john deer green and the rims john deer yellow how about it anyone thought about doing it.
    colin

IF its not broke , break it and upgrade it.

14. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm the guy who first posted the question, and now I finally have the K5 painted... 'Tis green. The factory color was a light metallic green, but the new paint is considerably darker. It's also metallic. Beautiful. And now I'm edgy. Damn.

I'd planned to get it painted a solid color, and orange was a strong contender, but the guys at the paint shop convinced me that for the money I was spending, a metallic paint would be more satisfying. Perhaps they're right because it turned out awesome... and supposedly whenever customers like me spend the cash on a 5-year paint, touch-ups are very cheap.

We'll see.

Thanks again for all the responses. When I figure out the easiest way to post pics, I'll post one of my green beast.

15. 72Blazerod