Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What color wire is what on stereo wires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, May 10, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Title pretty much says it. The stereo was stolen out of P.I. before I bought it and I havent got a clue as to what goes where. I could spend the time to track them all but I can be done faster by just asking. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I think I have a few wires figured out but would like to know for sure. 86 BTW. As much as I enjoy the TSl's and Flowmasters, long rides would be more enjoyable w/ tunes.

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I really doubt there is a harness left if so what are the colors of the wires...mike

Usually they are like this
    1. Red -- power with a fused link
    2.Orange--12volt ignition on (maybe a fuse also)
    3.brown/black ground
    4.on the speaker wires there should be 2 or 4 sets with like maybe green then a white or black,grey strip on the wire I think the white will be the + and the grey,black will be the - side
    you might even have a power turn on wire that might be a light color maybe red or yellow too...
    You might even have a light/dimmer wire for the factory radio but I don't think that the after market radios have that feature...

I just looked at the post again and these are the wires you need for some tunes..
    1.Main power wire 12 all the time(fused)
    2.12 volt ignition on wire (with fuse)
    3.ground wire
    4. Power turn on wire for an amp if ya go that route
    then the speaker wires also

hope it helps....mike

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In all honesty, I'd run all new wires. Why take a chance of burning something up when it's easier to just run all new wires anyways. Just run each wire one at a time. Red-switchable hot (To radio at fuce box), Orange-constant hot (To any non-switchable power sorce), Black-ground,(If the sterio you're installing has a illumanation wire, I'd go to dimmer at headlight switch) ...ect. Maybe someone else can give better instructions then I .

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

NoSmog.....Orange needs to go to a constant hot. It's for the memory related stuff. Station presets ect ect. Don't forget the big fat black one with the wierd lookin connector. Thats the antenna. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

do you still have a plug or not?

Later

6. porkchop

porkchop Registered Member

I always find help-ful is a 9 voilt batt. use it to find your front and rear spearkers in a snap it will not harm anything you will hear a little snap when you hold one wire to the batt. and then tap the other wire to the other side of the batt hope this helps you out.... GOOD LUCK

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thanx yall. I guess I should have mentioned that the wires are hanging out of the dash. The plug is gone, but that was hacked off for the last stereo install. (Rather than spending 8 bucks to get the plug kit.) Other than breaking the bezel around where the radio is, they did a nice job when they stole it. LOL! Fully removed the dash bezel, cut the wires neatly ETC. I have a feeling it was an inside job by someone who worked at the car lot I bought it from. The wires were laying in the dash when I got it, but I pulled them out and let them hang in the open incase they were still hot. I have a good 4-6 inches of wire to work w/ outside the dash, so them being damaged is not a real concern. I was gonna just run all new wires when I was going to put all my stuff in, but I have decided to skip the subs, amps, and all the fun stuff, for a decent CD head unit, and maybe 1 amp, if I feel like running the extra wires. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif