Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What comes first body-suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by airassault, Mar 26, 2004.

1. airassault

airassault Registered Member

I need some tip tricks. I have a 4 in. suspension w/rear springs, and a 3 in. body lift. What is the best way to install this, what order. Oh and just a warning, if you order a kit from rough country they ship it in pieces, I mean 2 springs one day and 3 shocks the next etc.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh and just a warning, if you order a kit from rough country they ship it in pieces, I mean 2 springs one day and 3 shocks the next etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I need some tip tricks. I have a 4 in. suspension w/rear springs, and a 3 in. body lift. What is the best way to install this, what order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters with the order to install it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. barryb

barryb Registered Member

im the type of guy to knock out the hard stuff first, then its all down hill .... so it depends ....... oh ya .. what he said

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i did the suspension first,that way the body is higher for you and your friends to grab. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh and just a warning, if you order a kit from rough country they ship it in pieces, I mean 2 springs one day and 3 shocks the next etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

My lift kit came in a few boxes also, but it all arrived at the same time. I bought my kit from a vendor on ebay though, maybe that's why /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I would do the body lift first because you'll have better luck lifting the body off the frame while the frame is closer to the ground. The suspension lift should be second since it doesn't matter how high your body is, you'll be supporting the truck by the frame. I do have one question though, why 4" suspension and 3" body instead of just a 6" suspension lift and maybe a 1" body lift? You'll need brake hoses and steering correction with the 4" and you'll most likely have to have a driveshaft or 2 made. The 6" kit would have necessitated the same parts but eliminated that tall body lift. Anyways, I'm not trying to tell you your stuff is junk, I personally would have done it different though. Good luck with the projects /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    that way the body is higher for you and your friends to grab.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to break my back so I used multiple jacks and wood to raise the body off the frame. My spine thanked me by letting me grow to be 6'4" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

every day the lightest thing i pick up is 80lbs and thats about 300+ times a day, so weight doesn't mean to much to me. as tall as you are i'd think you would want the body higher. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why don't you just do the suspension lift and forget the body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 4" and 33's and I sit just under 7 feet tall, perfect in my opinion, then just trim the fenders as needed for bigger tires, 35's in my case. 33's fit perfect on my 15x8s no rubbing but its close under full flex, 35s will require some light trimming on the back side of the fender.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have 6" total or so right now. I wish I'd saved my 4" springs so I could go back to what I started with--a 4" suspension lift.

11. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I think if your going to be doing trails and rocks 4" is best, that way you keep a low center of gravity to help reduce risk of flopping it over. Thats one reason I went with 4" and right now I got 18" of clearance to the skid-plate, thats good enough for me right now.