Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What controls tire bounce/hop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Is it shocks or springs that keep the tire from bouncing/hopping on rough roads? I thought it was shocks but today somebody told me that weak springs can allow the tire to hop as well............Is this true?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well it might be a combo of shocks,springs,and sway bar. Most likely shocks.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Shocks are the biggie - I've seen some really "custom" spring engineering on the buggy classes, but a good set of shocks makes up for it and keeps them glued to the ground.

4. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Its the spring that actually moves and causes the bouncing, but the shocks essentially dampen that motion, both on the compression and the rebound of the spring's movement. So if the shocks are worn out or don't have enough dampening capability, then the bouncing will be more prevalent. The stiffer the spring, the more bouncing there will be, too. The stiffness of the spring should be somewhat matched to the dampening of the shock. Hope this helps.

Will

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the springs are stiff they will not bounce as bad as if they were very soft springs. Shocks are what control the bounce not the spring. Springs support the weight of the vehicle, shocks dampen the bounce.

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

4X4HIGH, you explained it better than I did. I sorta had it backwards. Oh well, sometimes its hard for me to explain stuff. Thanks.

Will