Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Coolant mixture do you run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mdstmpr, Oct 6, 2002.

1. mdstmpr

mdstmpr Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I'm looking for some input on what mixture seems to work best. I get different opinions from everyone.70/30,60/40,50/50. Right now I running straight distilled water and water wetter. I live in So Cal. So I don’t really have to worry about freezing. I have a Be Cool Rad. and a high flow pump. Also what temps do you usually run when on trials or sitting at an idle? I’m usually at about 200 at a slow crawl up to 220 climbing.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run 50/50. I don't see a need to run more anti-freeze than that unless you live in a really cold climate. The anti-freeze helps lube and protect your cooling system components. More anti-freeze isn't always better because it boils at a much higher temp. This can cause your truck to run at higher temps if you use too much.

Rene

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run roughly 50/50. Before it snows I check it and go from there.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I run 50/50 in the summer and 60/40 in the winter. I have to deal with temps ranging from 35'C(95'F) to -35'C(-31'F).

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I use the Prestone coolant tester to keep mine in check. Costs $3-4 at Walmart. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I keep the mixture at about -34 degrees F protection here in Colorado. Straight water will boil at a much lower temp than a mixture of water and antifreeze, so using at least some antifreeze is a good thing regardless of the weather. Check the chart on the back of the antifreeze container or on the coolant tester for details. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Another related question if I might...what color are you running? The green 2 year stuff or the red 5 year stuff? Right now I'm running green 50/50...have thought about the red but don't know if it is good or bad for these old rigs. Thanks.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I run the green stuff, but for way more than 2 years. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You shouldn't have to worry about freezing down there in Riverside. The mix you have going now should be good enough, though I'm surprised by your temps, since Water Wetter is supposed to run cooler.

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Whatever you do, dont mix the green and pink!!! They will gell up in the radiator and cause a big headache.

I think the pink antifreeze is designed to help protect aluminum better, but I dont really have anything to back that up.

Right now I'm running just straight water with the temp. between 180 and 220. With and without the A/C and in 70-90 degree heat.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I use 50/50 mix of the regular green antifreeze. I have a four row radiator, stock water pump, 180* thermostat, and a huge 7 blade clutch fan. I've never had it above 215* at any time.

Will