Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What could break in a rear axle that would...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Dec 14, 2006.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Cause a clunking or popping sound at very low speeds and especially when the wheels turned. I popped the diff cover (had to anyways) and everthing looked fine. It drives fine at any speed above like 1 mph. I wheel it all the time and never have a problem. I thought it might be the ujoints (wishfull thinking i guess) but the guy who regeared the front said it sounds like somethings broken in the rear. My other friend said it might be the wheel bearings. Ill try and get a video off it so you can hear exactly what it's doing because it sounds pretty bad. btw its a 12 bolt 4.56 posi

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Posi or gov-lock?

My 10 bolt gov-lock would make noise turning on it's way out, the 14SF I have in there now stays locked up randomly, but doesn't make any noise other than the tire scrubbing in corners.

3. lochenjons

posi. its a really noticable sound and the truck will move like jump kinda as it makes the noise. sometimes its way worse than others. Like today it was almsot hard to get it to do it untill i turned into my driveway with the wheel turned all the way then it was really bad.

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Is this the first time you have ever driven with posi? Did it just get installed?

5. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

sounds like a posi as well, my 81 with a 12 bolt has the posi diff and in low traction situations it locks up and has a tough time getting out, causing it to be a pain in the butt to drive on pavement.

6. lochenjons

Well, sorta. I;ve had the truck (with posi) since mid summer and it always did it. I didnt notice it when i test drove it cause like i said sometimes its hard to get it to do it. Its a pretty violent clunking tho. If it is the posi lockgin up is it bad? Because i could care less if it does it but i do care if its gonna break the whole axle or ruin anything.

7. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a posi unit in need of some friction modifier. Go down to the parts store and ask for some friction modifier. Honest I'm not sending you for muffler bearings or blinker fluid :D ."Equa Torq" is a brand name of it, add at least 4 ounces and it may take 8 ounces as bad as yours sounds.
    And no it isn't particularly bad for it to make noise but it sure gets annoying. A Gov-Lock that won't unlock is the most annoying though, especially a dually with a fully loaded fifth wheel.:mad:

8. lochenjons

Yeah I heard about this but didnt know the name. Some guy was telling me I had to add something or it would make noise and I figured the truck makes so much noise already it wont matter. I didnt think it would be a popping clunking noise. Ill have to try that tho

9. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Also check that your rear ubolts are tight, if they are not torqued down pretty good they can make popping and clunking noises, just something else to check.