Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What could Discount Tire have done to my brakes??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Nov 13, 2003.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Took the Blazer to get the tires balanced and now the brakes are draggin and makin noise. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Well all fixed now. Turns out the wheels were rubbin on the calipers. I'm guessin that when I first put the wheels on when I bought the truck I didn't notice the rub and since Discount did a rotate as well as balance this go around I noticed. A little grindin and what do ya know no more nasty noises and the brakes are back to normal. You should see the grind marks where now all four wheels were comin in contact with the calipers. Thanks folks for all the advice. I prolly could have figured it out eventually but the heads up in advance sped the process up.

Allan

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Re: What could Discount Tire have done??

They put on some monster weights that are hitting the drums/calipers? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Take the wheels off and see if it still makes noise.

I doubt this could cause your problem but I remember hearing/reading somewhere that improper lug torque is a big cause of rotor/caliper problems.

Probably some bullshyt I heard somewhere, anybody else?

4. justhorsinaround

ttt

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

did they adjust the brakes or anything? maybe they pinched a hard line with a lift or jack/jackstand? i dont know what the hell "discount tire" is, we dont have them here, but you can usually bet, if "discount" is in the name, you get what ya pay for...

6. justhorsinaround

They might've pinched a line or somethin but Discount Tire is an up and up kinda place. I used to work for them eons ago. Thanks for the idea.

Allan

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I doubt this could cause your problem but I remember hearing/reading somewhere that improper lug torque is a big cause of rotor/caliper problems.

[/ QUOTE ] this would be my guess too.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Probably some bullshyt I heard somewhere, anybody else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, it's not bullshit. If you don't use the correct torque pattern or have a consistent amount of torque on each lug, it WILL cause the rotor to distort, eventually causing it to fail. That's why when I take my truck somewhere for anything to requires the wheels come off, I make sure to be standing there when the wheels go back on. I ALWAYS tell them to find a torque wrench to put them back on with.

9. justhorsinaround

As this is a new concept to me, will another 5 miles back to the tire store hurt the rotor or do I need to loosen and tighten them before the critter moves again? Thanks for the inputs folks.

Allan

10. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

If the rotor is warped its warped, 5 miles isnt gonna hurt it any more then 5000 would. I would jack up the truck and spin each wheel and see which one is dragging, then check my lines. Are you sure the brakes are dragging, I have seen wheel weights hit fronend parts and make a bunch of strange noises. What about tires rubbing on body. ?

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I should have elaborated a little more than what I did. From my experience, it has been mostly cars and light trucks that inconsistencies in torque affects. Our trucks and the like generally have a thicker rotor, so it takes a LOT more to affect them. But yes, if you do suspect your brakes to be messed up by all means jack it up, turn the tires by hand, and fix accordingly. Also, if it helps to settle your thoughts, break the lugs loose and torque them properly.

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I have a couple of questions before I say what it sounds like. First: Do you have Steel or Alum wheels? Second: What size is the tire and rim? Third: Do you see any hammer on weights on the inside or outside edge of your wheels?

If you have Alum. wheels, 15" and don't see any weights, than I would say that they used tape weights. Some times they will not clear the caliper as the tire rolls. Take it back and have them re-balance them and space the weights out better. Sometimes if they don't have the right weights they will stack them.... Big no no on a chevy with 15" rims... HOpe this helps...

13. justhorsinaround

This is where I feel like a complete idiot. I believe them to be 15x10 wheels and they must be steel as they have the clip on style weights (although they look aluminum). The tires are 33x12.5 BFG's. Hope this helps you out helpin me out if that makes any sense. Thanks again in advance.

Allan

14. 99firehawk

I wonder if the wheels have diffrent back spacing????

15. justhorsinaround

This I kinda doubt cuz they used to be on the Z-71 I used to own and I went through at least two sets of tires on that ole truck and never had this prollem.

Allan

16. 99firehawk

HOw long have they been on the blazer for? I Would check into the backspacing, jacu up the thuck and do the spin the titres by hand test, if you find one thats binding and you dont see it hitting any thing, rotate it to the oppisite axle.

17. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This I kinda doubt cuz they used to be on the Z-71 I used to own and I went through at least two sets of tires on that ole truck and never had this prollem.

Allan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats your problem...they are hitting the tie-rod ends. If they are stock Z71 wheels then they are 5" backspacing. The K5's cant handle anything greater than 4" backspacing. Look at your front end and see if they are hitting the tie rod ends. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Thats your problem...they are hitting the tie-rod ends. If they are stock Z71 wheels then they are 5" backspacing. The K5's cant handle anything greater than 4" backspacing. Look at your front end and see if they are hitting the tie rod ends. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that it sounds like your hitting the tie-rod end...
    Hope this helps.....

19. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

warped rotors wont cause a dragging sensation, bent rotors will
    how all of a sudden did the wheels become improper backspacing after they were balanced?im willing to bet the problem might have been there before and hes just noticing it because someone was just working near those components

20. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Well all fixed now. Turns out the wheels were rubbin on the calipers. I'm guessin that when I first put the wheels on when I bought the truck I didn't notice the rub and since Discount did a rotate as well as balance this go around I noticed. A little grindin and what do ya know no more nasty noises and the brakes are back to normal. Thanks folks for all the advice. I prolly could have figured it out eventually but the heads up in advance sped the process up.

Allan

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did they use stick on weights?