Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what crate motor would you get?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TIGHTWORK82 K5, Aug 26, 2002.

1. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

what crate motor is best???? i am leaning toward the ho delux 350. its like 3300 or so. i have seen some cheaper deals but i would like somthing that drops in and bolts up. also the 700r4 needs rebuilt. should i buy new or rebuild the old, and what should i do first tranny or motor. gonna send to the shop for tranny work. gonna make the k5 a daily driver so I want to do it right. gota old 305 in it. no power and smokin. kinda embarrased to take it on the road! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

either the regular 350 ho or the deluxe. only thing is i think the deluxe has a carb on it. don't GMPP make a 383?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd custom build a motor.

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

If I had about $7500 I'd drop in a World products Motown 415 Crate motor. Comes with everything but a water pump. That's oil pan to carb. Or a little cheaper go with the ZZ4 HO from jegs for $3600.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Base crate 350. Intake is $158 through summit + $20 for gaskets. The edelbrock intake manifold allows you to run square or spreadbore carbs. Which means you could run a Quadrajet. Holley's don't belong on off-road vehicles (yes i know about the new truck avenger and that is a very $$$ exception). I wouldn't pay $1,000 more when you can reuse all your old parts outside of the intake.

6. Monster

Monster Registered Member

Well I just bought a Motor from jasper. I thought about a crate motor but I read a lot of negitive post on them I bought there 300 horsepower small block. It has oversized valves,cam,worldheads,4 bolt main ect. Also comes with 15 month or 15,000 mile warrenty. So far I love it. Runs Tits /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and has great power. I have 700R4 turning 35 inch tires with 3:07 gears. I cant wait till i get my 4:56 gears in this week it will be killer.So far my motor has 568 miles and still going /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I payed $2100 for mine.

<font color="red"> If it dont work beat it with a HAMMER!!!!! </font color>
    Just my 2 cents

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I would go with GM's 383 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

If you are going to do this engine (motors are electric) in a 4WD, you would be ahead of the game to look at either the General Motors Performance Products (GMPP) HT 383.. or call John Barrett in OK and ask him for a Blitz 383 ($3695) and get the best of all worlds.. This with a 700R4 will climb you like a Geko..// Tell him I sent you... we are old racing buddies...... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I just got a new magazine and they have a fully done 502 that only needs pulleys and belts.. other than that it is drop in and go... oh yeah the $7100 might be a bit but 510hp and 550ft lb of torque..!!!!
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I am having the same problem with my 305...So I bought a 1978 corvette 350 from my Uncle, and am in the process of having it bored, may be using the 383 stroker kit from www.enginekits.com and will be putting it back in my K-5 this fall. I hate my smoking, gutless 305.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

THATS the engine I want.... after changing the oil last week in my 305, and finding about 3/4 of a cup of CRUD.... I'm thinking it's pretty darn close to time... that with the 200K miles on it, yup its coming out soon........if only I win the lottery!

Brandy

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are going to put a high performance engine in it. which ever ever you decide to get. I think you should get a new tranny. It says in your Bio that your drive train is a 86. That is the old style 700r4 and is weaker than the 1988 and up 700s.
    Either get a new upgraded one from GM. Or check out these guys(link) 700R4.com it will give you some ideas on what you need in a tranny.

13. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

If I was going to get a crate engine I would get the 600 hp 502 with 600 lbs. of torque. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I would sugest talking to a machine shop and see what kind of prices they have on rebuilding a 350. It will probably be a lot cheaper and you can build it the way you want it and most shops will carry a warranty if they put it together.

I just rebuilt my 350 about a month ago with KB pistons, comp cams 4x4 Xtreme cam/lifters, bored 30, crank turned, rods checked, pistons installed, etc. and I'm sitting at about $1k so far. After I swap to vortec heads and tpi I plan to have spent probably around 2500 at the most. Right now (with stock 79 heads, edelbrock performer intake and 600 cfm carb, and headers) I am probably running about 350 hp. and close to 400 lbs. of torque.

It could be a lot cheaper using different parts, but I run in the sand and usually have the engine wound up pretty good so I wanted to use the better parts. It just depends on how you plan to use it.

I would suggest rebuilding the tranny first. If it's already weak then the extra power will just be harder on it.

14. TIGHTWORK82 K5

talked to a local engine shop he says he has a 305 magnum (anyone here of this motor?) for 2600 installed with a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty!or 3600 for a 350 installed the 350 is bone stock. the 305 magnum is hopped up supposedly he says it would put out about as much as the 350 would. his warranty covers parts and labor. place is called ryan engine exchange!(any one here of that name b4?) thanks for the input! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

For $3600 it better be more than stock... Check out my friends web site.. he builds great engines...
    www.jonbarrett.com He will build you a great engine for around $3600. I have been building SBC for over 20 years and I have never heard of a 305 Magnum.. unless he is refering to a rebuilt HO 305 with a comp cam magnum cam shaft or something....

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You can get ~250 horses out of a 305 without much work. It's even easier since trucks came with the 9.2:1 high compression 305 (140 horses). It's half way to the 305 HO (180 horses) that came in Monte Carlo SS's engine compartments.

I plan on rebuilding my old 305 and putting it back in my truck in place of my current 350. Go ahead and call me crazy for rebuilding a 305 but when I stomp all over some guy with a bone stock 350 I'll be all smiles. Plus, this 10-11mpg crap has me pissed off (especially since seat-of-the-pants method doesn't say that I've got any horses to brag about).

Ask him what he's got for parts in the 305.

17. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Second, the build your own motor idea, I too just built a hot 350,balanced&amp;blue printed with 6" rods,Lunati crank,gear drive and some other nifty, "costly" parts that you dont necessarily have to have for about 2200.00 this was everything new and long block assembled so really consider what you want before dumping the cash on a Crate motor, There's also alot of engine builders that say a correctly built engine is far superior to crate motors because everything is seasoned and more precise, now every body has there opinion but I tend to listen to years of experience.You could also check out some of the motors with 1 year unlimited mileage guarantee on Ebay, for about 2600.00 you can get a Nice Dart head sm. block 375 "real world"h.p. But if you must I would go with the 330 h.p. Gm crate or better yet the ZZ4 355h.p. Crate is probly the best of the bunch either way you go good luck. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    That's easy...If I had the cash,I'd get the 600hp 502"!!But let's see...the motor would be worth more than the whole truck!I'll keep my 275hp 350" and be happy!Mike

19. TIGHTWORK82 K5

Test Results magnum 305??????

With the engine installed on the dyno, the fuel curve, total timing, and timing retard under detonation were left pre-programmed with the stock GM computer chip. However, the initial static timing could be varied, and the tests showed that 10 degrees BTDC yielded the best overall power. Any additional initial advance activated the detonation retard with the 92-octane unleaded premium pump gas being used.

First, dyno headers with 1 5/8-inch-diameter x 28-inch-long primary tubes that dump into 3-inch collectors were evaluated with no mufflers or catalytic converters. The O2 sensor was functional, as it would be in all subsequent tests. The best run produced 291 hp at 5000 rpm, nearly 1 hp/cubic inch. A maximum of 333.2 lb-ft of toque was recorded at 4000 rpm.

Next, Hedman EO headers were installed, feeding into 2¼-inch dual pipes hooked to giant 3-inch in-and-out dual catalysts, back down to 2¼-inch pipes fed into low-restriction mufflers. This combo actually made 3.2 more horsepower and 2.4 lb-ft more torque at the peaks compared to the headers/open exhaust baseline. Although dual cats aren't 50-state smog-legal, other tests have shown that under the 300hp level, one large, low-restriction converter fed by a Y'ed-in 3-inch pipe from the headers and backed by a good cat-back exhaust system typically shows a minimal loss of less than 10 hp.

The pathetic stock LG4 V8 exhaust system uses iron manifolds with only 2-inch outlets, a 2-inch in-and-out converter, and a restrictive muffler. When it was tried, power fell off to only 233.7 hp at 4500, a loss of more than 64 hp compared to the dual-cat setup. The new peak was also 500 rpm lower, a clear indicator that the poor factory setup restricts breathing ability. Carbureted L69 engines and most TPI setups use larger 2¼-inch outlet iron manifolds and larger monolithic converters; some late TPI's even have a dual-converter setup. Chevy even has an EO on a dual-cat setup for it's 350HO which could be adapted to this engine.

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

lets just say that money was not an option, and to you it may not be. but I would go with the Duramax ad the allison trans....
    k, now looking into the more realalistic side of things, first choice, 502.second choice 383 of any type, as long as it is built right. but you said daily driver, so 350 HT.
    now, i HATE 700r's. i have blown to many of them up. i dont like to have to shift out of overdrive to tow or go up a large hill. once again, throwing the money thing away, i would go with a 4l80e and a Fuel njected HT350 or 383.
    grant