Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What crossover to run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Nov 7, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Getting some 6" Alcan springs in the next few weeks. They are stupid flexy and should give me a nice cushy ride. They'll be replacing some tired Rancho 4" springs in the front and my 57" ford springs in the rear. The rear Alcan's are 2.5" lift and meant to used with a shackle flip.

I still have the push-pull steering which was not that big a deal with the Rancho's because they didn't flex worth a crap anyways.

The Alcan's will move the diff 1.5" forward from stock.

So, money is always an issue so I'd like to spend once and be done with it this time. In the past I have gone with what I could afford easily and a few times had to re-do some things.

My dilemma is this:

High steer or not. If high steer seems worth it will I have to run the tie rod behind the diff or will the tie rod and drag link play nice even with the diff 1.5" forward? The WFO stuff intrigues me, but is the shimmed behind the diff arms a good choice for a semi-daily driver?

Rene

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think Hydro-Steer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i have my axle move forward 1 1/2 with 0 rates and no problems with ORD's x-over hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely nothing to do with my question Paul...

Rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tie rod and drag link play nice with 1.5" offset.

I have Sky's stuff.

My opinion is that it all works, run whatever you feel fits your rig best.

6. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    i have my axle move forward 1 1/2 with 0 rates and no problems with ORD's x-over hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

high steer or low steer?

rene

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Fred (FWP) has his moved foward 1" with high steer.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

If they are super flexy hi-steer wont work since it will hit your spring pack, the behind the axle hi-steer is the only option and I am going that route when I get a d60, I really like WFO concepts stuff so I am going to recomend them, there prices are pretty good also not to mention trevor(the owner) really works with you to get what you need. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would run a low steer crossover setup with a beef tierod. 3/8" or thicker. Then you don't have to mess with the behind the axle hysteer stuff. Easier to mount hydro rams on too.

I would recommend Sky's stuff to you. I am very happy with my Sky steering arm on my 10 bolt. They have good prices and good customer service. I haven't heard any complaints with Sky as of yet.

I know that ORD's D60 arms have had some holes wallow out for TRE's. This might scare me away from WFO too since I think WFO is ORD's supplier.

As for draglinks and stuff I don't know who to use. A friend of mine built mine from .250" wall 1.5" DOM steel. We used Poison Spyder Custom's weld in TRE sleeves. My tierod was built by 4x4 Iron (when he still made them) and is .375" thick. I used the Superlift #1104 pitman arm and a 2wd sector shaft.

Harley

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The WFO stuff is basically the same as the ORD stuff. The only differences are the welded in caps, the 5th hole for the denbear knuckles, and the drilling for high steer. The size, taper for the studs, 10° mill for the ends, and the center hole for the king pin are all nearly the exact same dimensions.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

low but the tie rod mounts behind the drag link on the ORD hi steer setup so it should not be a problem, plus thire x-over arms come pre drilled for the high steer so you cand up grade at a later date if you dont have the money now, thats what im planning on /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif [​IMG]

12. Hossbaby50

Oh ya, and as you probably know hysteer on a D60 can be tough on knuckles so lowsteer helps that out a little. With super flexy stuff you are going to be putting alot of stress on the knuckles, especially if you run hysteer.

Harley

13. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh ya, and as you probably know hysteer on a D60 can be tough on knuckles so lowsteer helps that out a little. With super flexy stuff you are going to be putting alot of stress on the knuckles, especially if you run hysteer.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. Anyone actually frag a knuckle running high steer? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Rene

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely nothing to do with my question Paul...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] But would completely elimenate any interference issues. Have you checked out the Redneck Ram ?? The Stage 2 complete kit is only $450.00 .

15. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Rene,

I have a set of Sky highsteer arms, that I had to swap out for WFO's due to the swap of 56" springs...

My shopmate has first dibs on them, but if he doesn't take em, I'll give you a shout, shipping would be crapall.
    Regardless though, the sky stuff is very nice, and I would defanitly recommend it to you.

The nice thing about the WFO arms, is it you ever thought about moving your axle forward any more in the future, you have the added flexability, and won't be kicking yourself like I am. I've had equally good results with WFO and Sky, its a matter of personal preference. @ WFO, the price was right...the sky arms are just HUGE.

One thing I will note is that the WFO arms use the factory studs and are a tight fit, whereas sky uses their own stud kit. I doubt anyones had any problems with SKY's, but the WFO was a more positive fit on the studs.

16. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]

I know that ORD's D60 arms have had some holes wallow out for TRE's. This might scare me away from WFO too since I think WFO is ORD's supplier.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the result of that, were they replaced no questions asked?

17. Hossbaby50

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    nope

[/ QUOTE ]

What's up with that? What was ORD's response to this?

19. Hossbaby50

Stephen didn't seem to concerned about it and didn't seem to want to right the problem.

20. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

How old were they or how much use did u get out of them?