Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What degree of shim do I need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Sep 4, 2001.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im gonna be installing my 4" lift this weekend. Also a 14bolt will be going in the rear.
    What degree of shim should I run?Should I run them in the front and rear? Ill be doing front springs and a rear shackle flip. Ive been told I maynot need to shim the rear, but I dont want to have to take it back apart to put a shim in later if I have vibrations. What if I decide on a 6" lift, then how much shim? Would 6 degrees work for both? Thanks.

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

If you use the shackle flip you shouldn't need any shims in the rear. A rule of thumb that has worked for me is 1 degree per inch of lift. Remember that shimming the front takes away caster and will cause poor steering. Factory caster is 8 degrees and I wouldn't shim the front more than 6 degrees leaving you with 2 degrees of caster.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

So should you run equal amounts of shims on both fron and rear or should I leave the rear alone and shim the front since the front has springs and the rear is going with the flip? Also, if I run 6" front and a flip with a 2" block in the rear would 4degrees in the front and 2 degrees in the rear sound right?
    Thanks for your help.

4. i have a rear flip and 4" front springs. i had to shim the rear cause after the shackle flip the pinion pointed up too high. i used 2.5 degree shims but i think i really need 4s. the front seems to be fine to me. i used to have a blazer with a 6" lift and shimmed the front 4 degrees and it cured the drive line problem i was having, but i had bad bump steer. hope this helps.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Best way to tell is to just get an angle finder from Snap-on they are only 25 dollars adn they kick ass. Install everything check your angles and then you can be absolutely sure since no ones blazer appears to be exactly like others.

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status