Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did I do now?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    As I was comeing home through my apt. complex I drove over the speed bumps a little faster than normal, but still only about 15 mph tops. On the last one my engine started running really rough. Imediatly after I hit the bump it started stubling and idleing rough. What did I do to her? Something in the q jet? I just rebuilt it about a month or two back and have hit plenty worse bumps since. Maybe a sparky plug wire? I opened the hood and looked around, but nothing obvious. Let me know asap please.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Check for a burned plug wire, broken dist cap...... stuff like that. Maybe you knocked the timing off.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like you knocked a wire loose

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

I checked all the wires, and they are all on. Its running really rich though. I can smell the unburnt fuel out the back. Is there anything in the carb (i.e. metering rod or something) that would cause it to do this? I'm going to go check the cap real quick and make sure its not cracked or anything weird like that. I'll let yall know if I find anything. Thanks again.

Sparky

78 K-5

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

vvvvvvaaaaaaaaccccccuuuuuummmmmeeeeee leak-for sure! be very carefull and spray carb and choke cleaner all around the intake and carb and any emmissions lines you may have, as soon as that baby revs up you found you problem (avoid the distributor for obvious reasons) one of the only repairs you can do with a stiff drink in one hand-hey its friday night.

6. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Your carb's float may have got stuck. Try tapping on the carb with a screwdriver handle above the fuel bowl. Sometimes that'll free it up again without having to dis-assemble it.

7. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

I called it quits for tonight a long time ago, but I have to go somewhere tomorrow so I will have to get up earl. I think the float got stuck, or something is makeing a weak connection in the ignition system. I'll figure it out tomorrow and tell you all what it is.

sparky

78 K-5

8. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

I figured it out. Took me a couple of hours to fix it early today. Some how the spot where the spark plug connects and where the rotor conncects on the inside of the cap came apart. Visualy they looked fine, but there was no connection being made on two of the posts on the cap. I figured this out after I had take the carb half way apart and put it back together. GRRRR! Oh well, shes pering like a kitten again. Dont ask how I figured out something that strange, its a sore subject. Thanks to evryone who helped me in the CR last night.

Sparky

78 K-5

9. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Good job..I bet your relieved now!

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

It could have been worse.[​IMG]

[​IMG]If you don't like my driving, <font color=red> get back on the road.</font color=red> [​IMG]