Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did I do to my steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beast388, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am hoping you guys can give me your thoughts on what happened to my steering during my last wheeling trip.

I have uploaded a clip to Google videos:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=582241674014023480

As I climb this ravine, and right before I lift the passenger side front tire, the wheels jerk to the left and you can hear a loud crunch or grind. :doah:

After this occured, I had about 1.5 turns to lock turning right, and about 4 turns to lock turning left. I checked my drag-link(stock push-pull steering) and I did not slip any threads. I didn't slip any teeth on the pitman arm either. The axle is still on the centering pins, and none were broken.

I had to lengthen my drag-link by turning the sleeve quite a bit to get the steering staightened out.

So what do you guys think? The steering has felt a bit odd ever since. I need to round up the right rag joint and throw on the '77 steering box I have just see if that makes a difference.:thinking:

Hmmmm.......

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check the frame where the steering box bolts on, and make sure you did not crack the frame, or that the steering box, did not just come loose.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sounds like frame damage

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You wouldn't be able to notice if the two halfs of the drag link pushed in towards each other. That is what appears to have happened in the clip...high compressive force on the drag link combined with a piss-poor factory design. Check the box bolts and frame anyways...

Rene

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Well, I looked closely at that before I adjusted it. The drag-link looked very undisturbed. When I screwed those threads out, they were fairly shiney as if they has been inside the sleeve all along.:thinking:

You guys did get me thinking though, so I went out and plugged in the drop light and took a peek. The frame looks fine and the box is tight to the frame. But, the front leaf spring/body mount is QUITE loose. I probably have a "quarter turn of the steering shaft" worth of play before the wheels start to move. YIKES!:eek1:

I guess it is time to remove the rivets and use some grade 8's to cinch'er back up.:doah:

6. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Registered Member

I can't help with the steering problem... but that sure was an awesome video!

7. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

From all you described it Sounds like the PS box jumped internally or a very simple Pitman arm jumped teeth. I would pull the pitman and check and if it is lineed up ok. if it is then I would replace that steering box!

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Have you ever rebuilt a box? Sounds like no.

There is nothing inside a box for it to jump a tooth. The sector shaft teeth are way to box for that to happen without the box exploding. Same with the worm shaft and recirculating balls. It just won't happen like that.
    If the pitman arm "jumped" a tooth it would just strip the sector shaft splines.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The problem has already been found. Loose/busted front leaf spring mount...

Not a common break as far as I know, but it would definitely fit the symptoms.

rene

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It almost looked to me like the whole axle moved forward slightly in that vid,,,just viewing it now though, good you guys found the problem.

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Thanks!!:D

....And thanks to everyone else for the input.:)