Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did I do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, Jul 1, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

After Blazer-fest my steering wheel is not centered. I have to hold the wheel almost half a turn to the right,ust to be able to drive straight. What did I do? All the steering componet's look good. Nothing bent. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well I would say that you knocked it out of alinment or bent the tierod ??? You can center the wheel again by loosening the 2 bolts that hold the clampa on the I think drag link (i think that's what it is) then with a pipe wrench turn the middle rod(make sure your wheels are pointed straight first not the steering wheel)untill you see the wheel back to the center....mike

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check for cracks in the frame around the steering box VERY closely. Something had to move or bend for that to happen.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe you rolled....? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

My steering is doing the same thing. And I've had that same experience on previous off roading trips. Maybe I'm just not tightening those draglink bolts enough?

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Also check the torque on the front u bolts.If they are a little loose the front axle can move around a little and cause that problem /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My truck was pulling when i was braking off and on on the way home i figure ill clean everything out real good and take it from there. I got a spare tie rod if you want it. Ill trade you for the trim. Give me a call if you want some help this week.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the draglink coupler piece bent a little on you.
    it is very soft