Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did I do...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Nov 17, 2000.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK So I decided to change the valve cover gaskets on my 350... the leaked pretty bad... SO I climbed on into the engine compartment where it was warm... Removed the plug wires... Drank some beer... Layed the wires out so they went in the same way they came out... And removed the drivers side cover... scraped the gasket... sealed it and replaced it... put the wires on the same way they came off... I did the same thing to the passenger side... Only thing is I removed a big vaccume line that fed into the rear of the intake manifold... After I replaced the gasket and replaced the wires... (I'm 99.9% sure I got the plug ewires correctly on) I started it up and it ran like he!!.. and eventually kille ditself... DOH... the Vaccume line... so I plugged back in the vaccume line... started right up ... So I truned her off and went to bed...
    I got up this morning and went to start it for work... I let it warm up like normal but now it hesitates MAJOR going down the road (no the parking break is not on... haha...) I give it gas, it hesitates and finally goes... If I'm idling in gear the whole truck shakes really bad... If it's in neutral or park it sets at about 500 rpm and drops to about 350 rpm and back to 500 rpm about every 4 seconds or so... I dont have time this weekend to figure this out... Can someone help me please....
    Oh it doesnt leak anymore though :)

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

You probably knocked the distributor, which threw the timing off. Check your timing.

ken

3. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

Check the timing... if the distributor wasn't tight you may have turned it without realizing it.
    Also make sure you didn't kink the fuel line, which would restrict the flow.
    If that doesn't work change the fuel filter.

4. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

Sounds to me like that .01% that your not sure about your plug wires is whats wrong. It's easy to get those damn things confused, I would check all your plug wires and make SURE they are connected to the dist. in the correct order.

Hope this helps,

JF

5. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Check all vacuum lines!! Sounds like a vacuum leak or the wrong firing order. You need to be 100% sure that your wires are going to the correct plugs. That should be easy enough to check.

Best of luck!

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check the plug wires and make sure they are on correctly. I changed my wires and thought I had them all back on correctly...hehehehe...was I wrong. I drove down the road and it sounded like it was going to kill someone!! After that check your timing.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would say check that Vaccum line and other for leaks, then make sure you have the wires on corectly and then check you timing.

Pretty much what everyone else said, but it sounds more like a vaccum leak.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You prolly got 2 wires mixed up, cuz its sounds like you have a bad miss.
    "Been there, Done that, Got the T-shirt!"[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well I feel stupid... I figured out the problem... I had a little time at work so I went out to the beast, checked the wire/firing order... and sure enough... the beer was talking last night... i had 2 plugs crossed...
    Purrs like a champ now... and goes faster too...
    And still no leaks...

Gonna miss the automatic oil chang I had goin though... I just changed the filter... :)

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

10. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

That .1% will get you every time!

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've done that a whole lot. It was mixed up and I fixed it wrong, so I fixed it again wrong...

90K5

12. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

Dude, you crossed two of the wires. And if you keep driving it like that, it could get real expensive.

Check your firing order.

ERic D
    88 K30 Blazer