Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what did i find?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Feb 24, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Went with a friend today to this guy's private junkyard. I found: a 65-68 (not exactly sure of year) 1 ton Chevy frame. It is sitting on wheels/tires has both rears on stock suspension and has the manual trans/transfer case which I was told is the factory original equipment. I'm guessing it has a 14bff and dana 60 front? I'm no expert on 60's but the steering arm was held on by 4 bolts. I am not really sure what to look for as far as kingpins but what I saw was unlike anything I had ever seen before... I am curious as to what the tranny/case is but I know that it had dual PTO's. The guy wanted $500 for the whole thing. Good deal?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dana 60 wasn't available in Chevys in those years. Not in the front anyway. If it was it would have been closed knuckle I believe. The 60 we all use and look for didn't come around till I think like 74.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if its a 72 older chassis then the top lip of frame rail near engine mount tree wlll be bent up some, cant miss it, and rails in front are a little bit narrower channel than 73-up too

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

GM started using the dana 60 front in late '76 as a '77 model (perhaps a few '76s as well, who knows). Dodge and International both started with them in '75, so GM was a couple years behind. GM never used the closed knuckle D60 or D70 fronts like Dodge and IH did.

That being said, if its from the 60s and is 1 ton 4x4, it has a modified Eaton rear axle up front (should have Napco cast into one of the axletubes facing forward, should be easy to spot). It will have a matching Eaton rearend. If the tranny is correct, it should be a SM420 4 speed which only has 1 pto port. The transfer case will be divorced, either a Dana 23 or 24 (one was Ford driver drop, one was pass drop, I forget which is which) or a Rockwell T221. Post some pics if you can.

5. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I was told that everything on the frame as it sits is stock. The transfer case was definitely not divorced and had 2 PTOs, so I don't know what it is. Is that sm420 a good trans compared to the 465? What is the difference?