Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what did I get my self in to now?..update 2/7/02

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75, Feb 5, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well this is the problem, I decided to do this toyota tail light swap which is all fine and dandy cus the body work is commin along, but I haven't wired them in yet. This is a big "uh oh" for me because I dont know what the heck I am doing. I figure I should just cut the toyota wire harness off, cut the blazer light holders and just conjoin the wires and play with it untill I get it figuerd out? Does any body have suggestions, or better yet an easy to read wire color code for the stock tail lights. Currently I have no clue what which wire does what on the blazer. I'm all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif if any one has any suggestions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the yota wireing [​IMG]

man do I need some /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif [​IMG]

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

3. supersize75

Re: what did I get my self in to now?

just the daunting task of hooking it all up correctly, plus finnishing up the final touches on the body, the whole reason I started this was because right after I put the new rear panel on the corner was smashed so I descided to try new lights instead of spending another $500.00 for oem panels. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Go to a junk yard find a yoda wrecked and cut the rear panels around the tail lights reform them to the blazer and run your wiring harness.
    I little welding a little cutting, some grinding.
    At one point I thought about doing a new taillight swap from a 95+ GM truck (the tall lights).
    Goodluck
    J

5. supersize75

the problem with getting it off a wrecked toyota is the rear was in really bad shape so I guess I will gust have to keep tryin, oh joy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well you do have one problem i can see. The GM tail light wiring uses 1 wire for back up lights, 1 wire for park lamps, and one wire for brake/signal. The Toy lights would have a separate wire for turn signals and brake due to the amber turn signal.

You will need to more than crimp a few wires, you'll need to separate the brake light circuit from the turn signal circuit...under the dash.

Rene

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Rene was the only one to catch this one.
    I had a wiring diagram on both in my Kit car magazine but I forgot them when I moved.
    You do have to change the wiring from the front to make these work or you have to modify the usage of the Toy tail lights.
    I will be doing some searching online to see if I can find those wiring diagrams and if I do I will send you a PM, but don't hold your breath, it may take a while. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Looks interesting. Cool that you're being unique. What I'd really like to see is some company make modern versions of the original style tail lights.. ya know, a nice glassy looking shiny lens. That'd be sweet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

What about an adapter like you would use for a trailer. It's made for the imports with the amber turn signals to run a trailer with a single tail/brake light.
    You would run the factory wiring to the adapter then to taillights.
    You should be able to get one at any auto or RV store.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. supersize75

they do, 60-140.00 on ebay

[​IMG]

11. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

it looks very nice and all, but if you wheel your truck alot and you keep smashing those lights, i think it'd be a lil more expensive to replace rather than a stocker, but thats just my thoughts

12. supersize75

I already have 3 pairs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, these were bought from a company that is installing exterminator eqipment beds on the yotas.

13. supersize75

hm, one of te tail lights had some added on wiring and a black box, I thoght this was for towing, mabey I will get luckey. will post pick later

14. supersize75

any advice on how to go about this?

15. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Good luck Shawn. Your rig is awesome. Nice work on the axle swap and lights. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's just like Rene said. To get the amber signals to work in the yota lights your going to have to rewire under the dash and run a new wire back for the ambers. Going to have to look at a wiring diagram and figure out where you can pull out the turn signal from the rear circuit.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmmmmmmm I think I have figured out the easy way. Use the current set up and use it for the turn signal. The way you would do that is cut the wires off the brake peddle switch. Turn signal works regardless. So just tape those wires off after cutting them.
    Run a new wire fused at about 15 amps from the fuse box. Run it through the switch. From the switch then run you a new wire to the brake lights and you could run both brake lights on the single 12-14 gage wire from the switch.
    As for the harness on the yota lights....simple. 2 wires to each bulb except the brake/running that has three. One of those wires is ground and the other is your hot. just need to figure out what wire is the grounds and tie them all together and ground it to the body like the original lights.
    Looking at that picture it looks like the white wires with stripe are the grounds.
    On the original tail light brake/turn harness will be three wires. You need to figure out what one is the one getting the 12v pulse with parking lights OFF. That will go to the amber. The other wire will go to the low beam running light with the brake light. The new wire from the switch on the peddle will go to the high beam on the brake light. The the side marker will not be used. If for some odd reason that causes the running light to blink oposite of the turn signal then swap it with the side marker light.
    This may cause a secondary problem with lack of load on the flasher relay. That would cause it to blink real fast or real slow depending on the flasher. easiest fix would be to find a electronic flasher used for towing that doesn't care how much or how little load is on the circuit it always flashes at the same rate.

18. supersize75

damn you guys are great! This is what makes me damn happy to pay for the membership, 25.00 ain't nothin and I learn more here than any college class I'm in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. supersize75

ok heres the box on the ones I just got from the guy, look like the tow harness? The 2 white harnesses are not factory, the black one that they are connected to appear to be though.

also since the blaze has three lights and the toyota has three lights why cant I just eliminate on wire of the three of that on bulb and run the other two bulbs as normall and eliminate the toyota harness all together?

[​IMG]

also finally finished my 8 lug conversion
    "around 10pm /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif" so here is a pic for 73k5kid [​IMG]

20. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Nice job Shawn. I don't know if you got to take a look at my Blazer. It's posted in the garage forum. Nothing special finally put my tsl radials on it and Herculined the bed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif