Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did i get myself into!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Blazer hasn't moved since May 24th. Since then ive been gathering parts.

Ive bought d60 and van 14b. f/r detroit, 4.56 gears, 35spline outers(1 chromo), ORD crossover, Warn premium hubs, WTO rebuilt and ported 2wd box, Lion 2"x8" hydro assist ram, 1410 yokes.

I have 1.75"x8" PSC hydro assist ram, 15x10 2.5" backspacing rims, 2 1410 spicer joints, all new ubolts, DIY4x 14b spring perches and spring plates, and th350 tranny to replace my blown one.

I still need 2 new fittings on the hydro lines, hardlines for 14b, pick up tranny and install, Then i need a rear shaft built...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check my custom top!:haha:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to my life....

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

been down since april, i know how ya feel bro. ill be driving this week though wahooooooooooooo

4. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

bout time justin :doah: :bow:

5. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Dude I am right there with you. I bought mine back in Apr while I was in LA and it wasn't running I worked on it a couple of weekends to get it running. then got home got the axles in the garage, tires out back, rims in the garage (same as yours except I got 16.5X9.75....long story), lift will be here Wednesday along with my new U-joint, zero rate and rear spring perches...........then after all that is installed I still have to change all the fluids, have the windshied replaced and decide if I am going to go headers before I can get it inspected.........which I love that my truck is 26 years old cause I don't have to worry about emissions here.

Question where are you going to get the rear hard brake lines I have a 3/4 ton 14bolt and you have 1 ton but we both need the same kind of part just trying to get an idea?

6. Citizen Rider

Im gonna drag the trailer to Orilleys and buy straight hardline. they should have them with the screw ends already on them and ready to just be bent and installed. So im gonna take the axle by, and get the right size thread and lengths, that way i dont have to do any flares :D

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

lol, don't worry you'll get there. You just don't mess around. Once you get your rig up and running you'll stay there. Doing things right the first time is well worth it compared to being able to say that you have a running rig.

Shoot, I was complaining the other day because I haven't ran mine for 3 weeks and my dad reminded me that his sat w/ the axles gutted and the truck on blocks for over a year while he saved and built his 383 and did wheels/tires/gears. I shut up.

-Avery

8. Quackaddict

Exactly do it right the first time. Mine has a rebuilt motor with less than 10K on it but hadn't been run in a few months so freshened up the engine and just started it.

With the plans I have have it is gonna take a while to get it where I want it, but with money tight I can only afford to do it once so I am taking my time and planning it slowly I figure I am look at 3-4 years before it is perfect but i really enjoy working on my rig so it is no big deal.

Good idea on the brake lines they shouldn't need a lot of bends either? I have the old brake lines on the 3/4 ton axles just then ends where they meet the brake hose off the truck were cut so I can pull them off and bring them in. I wonder though with the truck being plumbed for 1/2 ton if they will have different size fittings on each end?

9. Citizen Rider

Honestly i have no clue...

I started out doing it the wrong way. Running 38's on 10b's with 3.08 gears. yea, didnt last long. Came up on an awesome deal on axles and had to jump on it. Now being 18 and just out of high school. this is a big purchase since i bought the blazer for 500! But once this is together by next weekend. I will be so happy to have it back and beastly.

Quackaddict- Next weekend ill be moving to Corsicana from North dallas. Isnt too horribly far to Glenn Heights.

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

This is why I'm just collecting parts for now. Not to much more to get though. :thumb: I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Then it's wrench throwing, and cussing time. :woot:

You'll get it there.. just have to stay focused.

11. Quackaddict

Not at all I duck hunt down by corsicana bout an hour. Kinda of funny I paid $500 for my blazer too.:laugh: Mine has a stock 12bolt and D44 not sure on gears but I am starting with 36's and got a killer deal on axles as well.......it started as axles and a ton of parts later. I getting everything laid out right now, painted the old parts and making sure I have everything before I start. I HATE starting a project and having to stop to run to the store for a part.

Here is my blazer as it sits now she is plain jane but rust free except for the hood which is being replaced as soon as I find the $$$$. I got a deal on the tires on there now they are coming off as they are on ebay right now.
    [​IMG]

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Awesome mines been since March too well March of last year. Strangely enough my blazer cost me 500 bucks too and the only rust free part on it was the hood:D

13. Citizen Rider

Well, got everything in. And the build started Sunday afternoon. Started about 4pm, ended at 9:30pm. And since monday we have put in 5:30pm-9:30 or 10oclock busting our ass getting stuff done.

Everyday i forget my damn camera. And i dont have a cable to get my camera phone pics on my computer.

Sunday- unloaded 1 ton axles off trailer, Pushed blazer into the shop, pulled front 10b, put d60 in, mounted crossover, mounted 2wd steering box, and Got 1 tire unmounted and remounted on new rims(needed more valve stems).

Monday- Finished mounting tires and rims, finished mounting 2wd box, pulled rear 10b, Rolled 14b under, measered and temp mounted perches, hung 14b, set pinion angle, welded up perches and shock tabs.

Tuesday- Mounted hydro assist, connected power steering, ran hardlines on 14b, installed powersteering cooler, installed new th350, installed newly purchased np205, started bleeding powersteering, Started the engine for the first time since May 24th.

We are ahead of schedule imo. Got alot done in what little time we've had. Going to have driveshaft made in the morning, buy steel for square front driveshaft, install 1350 rear output yoke, tranny hump, finish bleeding steering, top off transmission, check everything over, weld up my exhaust and i should be on the road again!

14. Quackaddict

I would say looks good but no pics:wink1:

15. Avery4jc

Man you got a ton done in a few days. I love the small stuff you threw in there like it was nothing, "installed new th350". As if it was a single 20 second lug nut or something. Great job on getting stuff done and post up some pics!

-Avery

16. Citizen Rider

Well, the tranny was in in about 20-30 min. The np205 was in in about 10min. Hell, me and the guy helping me just lifted the np205 and held it on our shoulders while sliding it on the tranny:eek1:

17. Avery4jc

Is your buddies name Hulk by chance? lol

I am dreading swapping out my 700R4 as I thought it would take me days but maybe not. Did you guys do anything special? I figured I would unbolt rear drive shaft and slide it out of the TC, unbolt the front drive shaft from the axle and from the TC, remove TC skids and crossmember, hook up tranny jack, unbolt tranny from block (step I'm dreading) and then hope that it falls down. I assume you have to come back as well as down to clear the output shaft but is that basically what you did?

-Avery

18. Citizen Rider

Thats how i removed mine...

BTW, its much much easier to get the top tranny bellhousing bolts with the tranny tunnel removed and going at them from inside the cab. In your case leave teh converter on the flywheel, and just slide the tranny off it. if you have a tranny jack that is the best way to remove and install. Thats how we got the tranny back in.

19. Avery4jc

I'm sure I'm going to have to read that a few times for it to sink in but I get the drift. Well I don't have a tranny jack but figured I'd have to get one since I have such a big lift I think it's really just too high to muscle out of there. What about a ratchet strap around it through the tunnel and onto a cherry picker, that way you could lift the tranny up a frog's hair to let the pressure off of the bolts then just lower it down onto the floor.

-Avery

20. Citizen Rider

Drove it home tonight. Rides like a dream. But my tiny coolant leak isnt so tiny anymore. I had a large cloud of smoke behind me much of the way and when i stopped it surrounded me. very sweet smelling. No clue where from other than the back of the engine. Just never ****ing ends.

That would work too if you have you and another person. 1 to let the stand down and another to balance teh tranny.