Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did I Mess up NOW???????? My Friday Muddin excursion....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Apr 25, 2004.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Lets just say the weather around Southern Colorado's been nice. Rain and snow thursday, more snow friday back to rain. I had an hour to kill on friday, picked up my son at the bus stop and made a b-line for Hills near PMI. When its dry the hills aren't much, but the motocrosser's love it. When you have as much rain and snow that we got its a downright sloppy muddy mess. So here we go alone (first major mistake!) trompsing though the mud laughing like little boy's. All is good. I proceed to climb right up a little slope, turn to the left and the truck starts sliding off camber to my left into a small gulley. I can feel the right rear get really light. I Yell to my boy sit back and hold on! I turned into the slide gunned it and got the truck to straigten up and drive into the gulley instead of flopping into it on my side. Pucker factor was way up there. So now I'm in a gulley full of mud with the sides at least 5 foot tall. I see a spot I might be able to pull out of if I can steer into it. Needless to say I can't and get hoplessly stuck with might right side in a bigger hole than the left. My crappy 33's would not clear out the clay like mud I was in.

So A quick cell call out to my buddy Bill with his 83 3/4 Suburban to the rescue. He was itching to get dirty anyway so I did not need to plead for help. His sub is a beast compared to my K5. 35's 6" lift and a banks turbo'd 6.2 with a 12k winch. He yanked me out with no problem right into field of goo that my crappy tires still would not get me out of. Another yank and I'm free. We both figured we better head out before my luck runs out and I really do something stupid.

Nope, can't call it a day with out causing some damage. As I'm following Bill out, he runs down a hill though a giant puddle maybe 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep. I'm sitting on top of the hill saying to myself "hmm, Bill did it, I should be able to too." So I haul it down the hill for some momentum hit the puddle and sikp accross it. I made it but the engine stalled as soon as I hit the other side(major error #2). Uh oh....Cranks but no start...Crawl out and take one look at the air filter and it's soaked. So I pull the air cleaner and the inside's dry, no major water got past the filter. The distribitator cap was soaked, so I pull it, spray it with WD-40 and wipe it out. I got spark now, takes a looong time of craning to fire up. (realized later I bumped the timing slighlty taking the cap off and on again). Now it runs, but it makes a pretty nasty sounding noise. Its rises with rpm but sounds like I put a big hole in the exaust. Too wet and muddy to check at the time. Oil pressure is rock solid at 40-60 driving. Engine really has no noticable loss of power.

Yesterday was dry, so I fire it up and crawl underneath to investigate. I did find a crack in one of the header tubes to the collector, but its not that big. I can hear the noise better down here. Not feeling it in the oil pan, but I do notice the dust cover to the front of the bell housing rattling in time with the noise. I put my hand on it and it didn't quiet up. It feels like the noise is coming from the flywheel/clutch area.

I'm wondering what the hell I could have done. It ran fine until I dunked it. I don't think I hydrualic'd it, it turned over just as normal immediatly after the dunk. The starter did start to sound funny since it took so long to crank back up again. But it still cranks right over and fires up. Could the starter drive be hung up and touching the ring gear? Or did I crack the starter nose cone and thats causing the drive to hang up? This is so wierd, the engine runs fine, I know I got a wicked exhaust leak but this other noise bugs me. Its raining again today and really can't crawl under it. Plus I got to head out of town tomorrow and really wont be able to mess with it unitl next weekend. Anybody got a guess as to what carnage might be the source of the noise????

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You might just have crap inside the bellhousing....

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

see if you got some mud in the starter , sounds like maybe it may be hangin up on the fly wheel /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. ZooMad75

I'll check for that! I'm hopeing that its something simple as that. Like I said the listening and feeling around the pan is quiet, besides I don't think it would run as well as it does with a bent rod or bent valve. The noise really seems like the source is in the bellhousing area for sure.

Lessons learned: #1 Quit while your ahead! #2 10 yr old 33" Kelly's are not adequate muddin tires. #3 Wear Boots when muddin, not brand new tennis shoes. #4 when you wheel alone, you are gonna get stuck. Murphy's law!

All I can say, you can't learn if you don't screw up first!

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    #4 when you wheel alone, you are gonna get stuck. Murphy's law!

[/ QUOTE ]

so true /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

although i tend to get stuck anyway.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. ZooMad75

I really should have known. I always am the one that gets stuck when me and my buddies go wheelin. The fact that I'm open on each diff, running crappy 33's and no lift might expalin why I'm the one with the chain or winch cable hooked up all the time.

The factory tow hooks I found at the boneyard have paid for themselves in the last two excursions! It all takes time and money, neither of which I have excess amounts of, but I wheel the wee out of what I got to hear my boy laughing at the what kind of spot I got us in this time.

Actual quote from my son friday after we got stuck in the gulley: "Dad, gimme your phone I'll call 911 to get us unstuck." My reply: "I'm not sure Mom is going to appreciate that, besides we ain't bleeding or broke anything, oh and let's keep the part about almost tipping over between you and me! Telling her we got stuck is going to suffice."

Just the week before we saw a nice K5 stuck in the mud right off the highway where we were and said, I hope your smart enough not to pull that." I guess I proved her wrong again!