Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did you build your truck for?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Feb 26, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

This is getting more pub then it is worth in other threads, but just a basic poll...What did you build your rig to do?

I realize that our rigs are never "done". I also realize that alot of the rigs could do just about anything. But what is the one area you wanted it to specailize in or buld it for?

If your direction has changed, or you want to clarify your decsion, post up! but you have to pick one of the options for "scientific" reasons!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Should be interesting.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Mines for Trails with big rocks with mud on them{Tellico,Tn}so none of them really fit it.Build one to do good in Tellico and you can do prettymuch whatever you want with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

well this is kind of a tough one /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, my original plan was to build a dune runner but somewhere along the way I got sucked into this crawlin' business. The same suspension that lets me fly over the whoops at 75mph also yielded 4 feet of articulated travel /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . But the terrain I stay away from whenever possible is mud. I mainly concentrated on axle tube strength in the beginning, but it all got blown out of proportion from there /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, it is a never ending cycle /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, my truck is made for rocks, and so is the willys, well if it ever gets so it moves...

I used to like mud, but it's just so bouncy and takes so long to clean... I like the nice slow up and down motion of a 3 foot boulder /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What about a rock, and sand truck? I go out crawling in the rocks, but love to fly through the desert at 75 mph and catch air /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

mud and sand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

those are the ones that are fast and messy, just the way i like it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hmmm, you forgot one option - jack of all trades. I really tried to keep my truck so it could do anything well, but I have a feeling that I'm going to be a bit underpowered in the sand now. I seem to be veering off into more of a rock specialization too, but I'm not making any mods that will detract from it's prowess on trails or at Pismo. </font>

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I chose Got Sand.
    I've always been building up my truck wanting to kick some ass racing up competition hill at pismo. That's just great fun spanking other blazers and trucks up the hill on the big holiday weekends.
    Ideally, for my pismo trips in the garage i'd have a set of 35" paddle tires and either a 500+ cube big block or I've always wanted to build up a 6-71 blown engine for the blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Now that i've gone wheeling with NCBD several times i'm building up my rig for rocks, and trails and i'm a mud kinda guy too.
    So if i say i'm building up my truck for the sand, guys at pismo are going to scratch their head at me when i get rocksliders and rock rings. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    The more i go wheeling and the more i see, I want to build my truck capable for ANYTHING... as i'm sure most everyone else does. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

....Oh yeah, I'm not really building it up for the street.
    In fact i'm going in the opposite direction and it's my daily driver!? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i built mine mostly for trails, when i go on trips i like to go up into the back country, but more often than not it gets used for mud, and mostly street

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I mostly built it for mud, but now im getting more into rocks as i go, so it is getting modified to suit both areas. But when i go crawling, people wonder what the huge PTO winch in the bed is for!!

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Trails containing rocks and mud. Thats really all we have around here.

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

to cruise the mall parking lot and haul whatever I buy at JCPenneys. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My K-10 is set up for sand drags and dune running My yellow K-20 is set up for mud, deep mud I used to do that Krawlin' thing but it's to hard on the sheet metal /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ggggeeeeeeezzzzzzz Zakk- what about me. which one should I pick???

Why is it that EVERYONE seems to forget that some of us just enjoy the "building" of the truck- and not the actual beating of the truck.....Your poll isn't too scientific- cause I can't answer it.......

Give me a spot that says "to drive" and I'll click it..

Brandy

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I am still in the early stages of building, but I would have to say that the goal is "all purpose". Just within this state, there are rocks, mud, sand, and yes pavement /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. I drive my truck every day, and I'll go on the trails whenever I can. I will go to any type of trail, though I am growing partial to rock since you stay cleaner, and run less of a chance of gettin' stuck good, but throw a mudhole in front of me and it's throttle down! Also, it's got to be able to haul goodies from the mall /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

John

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thats a tough question, couse I want to be able to do alittle bit over everything. I am mostly on old miner or logger trails up in The Black Hills National Forest. We've got mud, rocks, ruts, creeks, ...ect. Everything you'd expect up in small mountans. But I want to be able to do mud runs, and some rock crawling if I get invited. It's gotta be able to go on the interstate if I need to drive 500 miles or better to get to where we're wheeling, and then get me home after the fun. So I guess it's beinng built as a mulity purpus rig.

17. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm building mine for rocks and trails. Need too get some experience on the trails and then gradually move into the rocks. Although there aren't a whole lot of big rocks in East Texas /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Mud by default. There are no rocks or sand in western Nebraska. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

All for mud! Like Swanson, not many rocks in my neck of the woods.

20. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i built my rig simply because i could. i love modifying things, and i love to see things be "all out". if its a 2wd car, it has to be as fast as can be, and handle like its on rails. If its a 4x4 than it has to be all out, even if it never ses the dirt, but when it does, then no worries