Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did you use to mount your tranny cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Jul 27, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Zip ties suck...what else is there??? TIA

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I used "plumbers strapping" (think thats the name at the store) to mount mine. Looks like its zinc plated, holes every 1/4" or so, comes in a roll.

Not real rigid, but if your cooler has mounting points at each corner, you can probably mount it using the stuff I mentioned, nuts and bolts, with existing holes in the core support. If you make sure the stuff is taut, the cooler won't move around.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What style tranny cooler did you buy? A stacked plate or a tube/fin design?

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

It's a tube/fin style.

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

use your AC condener. its already mounted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    use your AC condener. its already mounted

[/ QUOTE ]

Duct Tape /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I love that stuff! I haven't mounted my cooler yet, but when I do I'm not strapping it to my A/C "condener" (see above quote) I'm going to take some 1/8"x1" steel and mount it to something solid... similar to the way the factory oil cooler is mounted.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When I had an automatic, I used plumbers tape. That cooler was donated to my 1 ton 2wd.

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

no no no, you misunderstood, i mean use your AC condesor FOR the tranny cooler. its just like a tube/fin cooler but its about 2'x3'. it runs so cool on mine that the guage wont even register(gonna get its own thermostat controled electric fan soon to deal with that). and its already mounted real solid to the rad. core support. its like it was ment to be!!!!

besides, AC is for sissys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I went to Lowe's and bought some 2" wide aluminum flat stock and some self tapping screws to mount my stacked plate style cooler. Mounted it to the radiator support, then scuffed it with a wire wheel brush and painted it flat black. Plenty of ventilation around the cooler and between the radiator. Truck never gets hot and the tranny stays about 30 degrees cooler than the truck. FYI, I run mine throught the heat exchanger in the radiator first and then to the cooler. Here's some pics (I hope):

[image]http://www.montypics.com/pic.php?url=/lancewatson/2003-07-28/1059402383_DSC00229.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://www.montypics.com/pic.php?url=/lancewatson/2003-07-28/1059402454_DSC00234.jpg[/image]

The second one is hard to see because it is all in black. I had to cut one small hole in the radiator support for the lower cooler line, on the upper one I just used the fresh air intake.

Hope this helps!

Lance /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

EDIT: Since the pics aren't working, you can just copy the picture address and paste it into your browser to view the pics.

I though you could remote link pics from Montypics.com, but maybe I'm wrong?

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

When I put a cooler on our '94 Sub, there wasn't much room for it to fit. I found that I could remove a couple of the screws that hold the mounting brackets to the a/c condenser, and then reinstall them though the brackets on the tranny cooler and then back into the condenser. This mounted one side of the cooler VERY solid, then on the other side of the tranny cooler, I put one of the foam cushions that come in the cooler kit between the tranny cooler and the condenser . Next I ran one of the zip-tie mounts through the condenser to keep the cooler from moving at all, and to keep the cushion from falling out. The cooler doesn't vibrate at all with this setup, so I'm not worried about the zip-tie mount chewing through the condenser tubing, like it can when zip-ties are the only support for the tranny cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Measured out mounting hole's on cooler, drilled hole's in 1 1/4" flatbar, welded flatbar to upper and lower core support, bolted cooler in, hooked up cooler line's, done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. mudtruck

mudtruck Registered Member

mig welder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif