Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What did your paint run you?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, Jan 16, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

I'm going to get a paint job this spring after the snow is gone and wanna know what you guys have spent for paint. I plan on getting it sanded down and everything. I was told it would run around $3,000 for the same stock color. What about you?

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got quoted $120 the other day. thats only for the paint though. lucky me, Ive got two friends in body school that just got a bunch of new equipment. all Ive got to do is buy the paint and primer and drop it off at their house for a couple weeks. but from what Ive seen good paint jobs cost around $2-3000. theres a place down the road from me that paints for about $200 but they use very little tape, they dont sand the old paint and they will paint over your weather stripping and trim to save on time and tape. I can do a better job with about $30 worth of spary paint and a roll of masking tape.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

3000 was about what i was qouted from a good body shop for a complete paint job. Screw that! For a truck i was just going to scratch and dent up again? I took a week off work and beat out the dents slopped some bondo on spent a day on a DA and painted it for around 160 total (not including beer). Used Dupont Ful cryl. Good stuff. Sprays on real good even with my cheapo gun. Came out real nice. Just got it customized with some Nevada pinstripes and a little rock kiss in the door.:laugh:

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

$60 bucks total. Includes purchase of gun, paint, mineral spirits, masking, and replacment of a ruined shirt:D

5. SlicksInRain

I don't get body damage that often unless I run into black ice. Last time that happened I hit a tree, but I had a brushguard and fixed it with a hammer.... no joke. My truck is a street truck and sometimes a mudder so having it look nice when it's not dirty is important to me. :D

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well, you're in the rust belt... how much rust repair are you going to have to do?

i'd say $3K is a little on the wishful thinking side for a full repaint around here.

7. SlicksInRain

My rust isn't that bad. I have some by the rockers, but they have been redone twice so their not that bad. Their starting to bubble, but it's not rusted through. I have a little by the drivers door to the top right of it and thats about it. I just noticed some bubble on the piece thats between the hood and windsheld that the wipers rest on. Most still think the paint is new and never notice the rust unless I point it out. I'm still tring to decide if I wanna keep it gray or do something mild. The problem is I drive it everywhere so I can't have the flamejob of my dreams.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

EARL SCHEIB, BABY :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: !!

I plan on doing the prep-work myself. $379.00 + clearcoat.

I don't want to get a 'nice' paint job until I'm finished my fabwork. Right now paint is just a coating to keep it from rusting. However I want it to look 'decent' while I work on it.
    My long-term (5 year) goal is to have the entire body acid-dripped and then hot-dip galvinized. So I don't have to worry about rust anymore!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So Dale, did you actually save any money??? :haha:

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think mine is gonna end up aboot $80-$100. Desert Camo from a rattle can:bow: . Like was said before I cannot justify a "good" paint job just to leave it on the trail:D .

Ira

11. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Orchard Supply $2.50 per can spray paint x 15 cans = $37.50
    2" wide masking tape x 3 rolls = $12
    Sunday newspaper machine for large supply of masking paper = $1.50
    Roll of sandpaper x 1 = $9
    Case of beer & bag of ice x 2 = $30

Paint job that screams "Go ahead and cut me off in traffic, I have nothing to lose" = priceless

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

$3 a can. shake, spray, drink beer, repeat. didn't have to mask much. took off anything that was removeable and rolled the windows down. only thing I masked was the windshield, dash, and door handles.

painted when I swapped cabs after a fire. so I started with a stripped cab.

it's a 30 footer, but it's also trail only so who cares.

13. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I went to a restoration shop that does high and low end restorations and colision repair. They redid an entire 63 Impala for one of the Patriots line men with an entire House of Kolor sparkley pearl white. Anyway my paint cost me $2500. It was a single color (white) 2 stage paint job. And they did some trim and other things in black.

14. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I ahve $8.60 in my paint...

$.79 a can of flat black at WalMart...on sale.

No masking tape...

IMG_3372.JPG

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Man, you can't beat that with a stick :D :bow: :haha: !!

16. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I paid 1500 to have it done inside and out after I paid someone else 1000 for body work.

17. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you know if you dont wanna spend the time to mask of the glass, carb cleaner and a rag will clean off the overspray real easy.:D

18. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mmmmWFO question again.....you can go cheap on everything, and get the results from that, or primo, you pretty much get what you pay for, and the more you can do yourself, the more you'll save. Just remember that everything under the paint shows up in the paint. (PREPWORK)

19. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

$25 for a gallon of Rapco current issue od green, $49.99 for Pep Boys 2 gun set, and probably $20 in tape and misc items. Less that $100 total.