Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what dies do you have for your tube bender, and what radius are they?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Well?
    im looking at buying a tube bender, JD2 Model 3, and wondered if i should get the 5.5 inch radius or the 6.5 inch CLR. my first project will be a roll cage.
    thanks
    Grant

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What tubing size? 5.5" CLR will yield a tighter bend, but may be too tight, 6.5" CLR will yield a slightly larger bend yet may be just perfect.

3. Seventy4Blazer

oh yeah... i forgot to say that huh...
    ooops...
    1.75 inch .120 and .220 wall tube.
    Grant

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got the 1.75 x 5.5 and the 1.0 x 3.0. Both are 180* dies. I wouldn't change anything...

5. BadDog

Oh yeah, 0.220 x 1.75... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's going to be tough to bend...

And you should check with M-Tech here in Phoenix. They have the NE5 like mine in stock for about the same price as a JD2-M3. But I like the NE5 better, it's what I have. Main thing is that It has sleeves to hold things in place when you switch dies. JD2 does not and it can be a pain to change...

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well my Father and I ordered 4 dies with our bender 1", 1.5", 1.75" and 2". The 1.75 is a 6.5" CLR Die, havent used the bender yet because it just got here and I havent had any time to make a stand for it yet. But tommorrow after I get the mount made and begin bending I will let you know how it works.

7. Seventy4Blazer

russ, i looked at the M-tech.. it cost about 80 dollars more. and i do like the degree ring a bit better. now, as for shipping, it may be a lot better to get it.
    i dunno yet. not sure if im gonna get it or not.
    still debating.
    Grant

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Shipping from Florida to California for our bender and 4 dies was close to $100. So it may be cheaper to get it local.

9. BadDog

Yeah, someone else told me the price went up since I bought, but I didn't think it was that much. Just make sure to compare all the costs; tax, shipping, etc.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got another related question on the jd2 and similar benders. How much of a radius do you get before you have to repin? I've worked with a one shot 90 degree greenlee before, and the repin thing seems like it would be such a pain in the butt. But if you can get 90 degrees anyways, that would be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

The Van Sant Model 3 is the same price and the JD2 and they are out of Iowa..shipping could be cheaper for you
    vansantent model_3_bender

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

My personal opinion is to get the smallest CLR available for any die you buy....

6.5" doesn't sound like a big radius, but when you acutally have a tube bent with that overall size, it SURE looks a lot bigger. Smaller radii fit into more places, and can be more useful....

I bought the Pro-Tools bender with a 2", 1.5" and 1" die. I got each die in the smallest CLR possible, and also got the 240* version. The 240* may prove to be a waste of money (I haven't needed to bend 180* very often) but I decided to pay a little extra and know that I've got 'em if I ever need 'em.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BadDog

Typically around 45* without a repin. But repin is trivial, takes just a little more time than only resetting the ratchet...

14. BadDog

I agree on the small CLR, go small. And get at least 180* dies. A die that will bend 180* is quite a bit. larger than 180* due to excessive spring back you get when you go that far. To go past 180* and still get the die out, you need 2 piece dies and that's quite a bit more expensive for a piece I doubt would ever be needed in what we do, but it *would* be cool to have... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Van Sant Model 3 is what I bought a few months ago. They are in Iowa, but the bender they sell is the JD2 and it is still shipped from Florida./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I also have the 1.75" x 5.5" CLR. I get about 25-30 degrees before having to re-pin the die. So far the only thing I've bent is the two upper bars for my tube doors. This winter I will be spending a bit more quality time with it though.

rene

16. Seventy4Blazer

when you all say re-pin what are you talking about? you have to rotate the die?

i plan on getting the 180* dies, so is this going to be a problem for me? or just a pain? i know they have the ratchet on them, is that the re-pin step? to go to the next tooth?

Grant

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The big half of the die has 3 or 4 holes in it. The ratcheting bar pins to the die so when you pull on handle the bar rotates the die. When you run out of teeth on the ratcheting part you pull the pin, rotate the ratcheting bar back to the start position and insert the pin in the next hole. It's no big deal...the tubing is held very firmly in the dies and does not slip out during the pin change. In fact the dies don't move, the ratchet bar just rotates back free from the die and gets pinned in the next hole.

Takes about 10 seconds to do.

Rene

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

so the tube doesn't rotate...hmmmm...

sounds like m-tech or van sant here we come.

Van Sant also has free shipping for anything over $650, definately something to consider.