Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What diesels work in Chevy's?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by SS66, Nov 13, 2003.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

What diesels work in Chevy\'s?

Anyone out there know what engines if any bolt on or come close to a bolt on other than 6.2's and 6.5's? I was looking at and drooling over the cummins ISB series specs (660footlbs @ 1600rpm). Would one of these be virtually impossible for a average guy to swap in? The only downfall I see with these is all the electronics.

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Re: What diesels work in Chevy\'s?

They make mechanical pumps for the ISBs and you can get a tranny adaptor from Jamie at the Diesel Depot. With some work they will fit just fine.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone out there know what engines if any bolt on or come close to a bolt on other than 6.2's and 6.5's? I was looking at and drooling over the cummins ISB series specs (660footlbs @ 1600rpm). Would one of these be virtually impossible for a average guy to swap in? The only downfall I see with these is all the electronics.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you need is the right bellhousing and if you can find one, Cummins came in P30 vans behind an SM465.
    I also have a perkins that is in my blazer behind an SM465, I am guessing it's the same belhousing, someday I will take it appart and take some pics and we can compare with someone that has the cummins.
    I know some here already have that.
    Now another option is to use a NVG4500 that came from a dodge behind the cummins.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I cant seem to find a price online for the new ISB's.. Im just guessing they will hang around $10k. Hmmmmmm maybe I should just go with a plain ole 6.5TD. Whatever I decide to do, I know for sure the gasser is out of there! I could probably get some decent money for it. The odo reads 42 thousand miles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

There's no need to go ISB, when you can get an older Mechanically injected B series out of a Dodge (or anywhere else) for waaayyyyy less than 10K, depending on the year, condition, and mileage. I'd look for a 96-early 98 that's got a wrecked truck around it and grab the trans (NV4500 HD if it's a stick) as well.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

What engine is in it now. I have a complete running 6.5 TD just sitting in my garage from a 93 1 ton pickup. (not yours Bob). If you have a big block maybe we can work out a deal.

John

7. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Well... I think a 305 is in it now. But sadly I have to sell the truck ( see sig ) I'll be looking to get a diesel Sub or K5 later this summer or sometime in fall.

8. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Where would you get a mechanical pump for an ISB?

9. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I dont have a big block but how much are you asking for the 6.5TD. Is it computer controlled or is it the older style. Thanks.

Evan