Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What differences (if any) between the Blazer and Jimmy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AuH2O, Oct 5, 2006.

1. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

I apologize if this has been covered (and it probably has), but in terms of specs, is there any tellable difference between the K5 Blazers and Jimmys except the badge? The Specifications page on this site was really interesting; it doesn't cover Jimmy at all however. I'd really appreciate if someone could straighten it out for me, or just point me to a side-by-side comparison somewhere. I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to the these trucks yet, but I aim to learn. ;)

Also, which one sold the most in its day, and is one a more popular choice than the other today, and if so, why? When you get one today, is it mostly just sentimental value and/or specific availability that determines which one you get?

I'm aiming to get a 1982-1985 diesel with manual transmission myself, if I can get a hold of one. I guess manual trannies weren't exactly put in the majority of the trucks, so how good a chance do I stand to find one, and what should I pay for a (relatively) rust free one?

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Purely badging on the later models. I worked at a Chevy dealership in '89. We got a K5 blazer in new that had Jimmy badges on the back half.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yup, just badging and grill mostly. Window dressing pretty much.

You won't find any Blazers or Jimmy's with a diesel and a manual tranny unless someone did the swap. All the K5's got auto's behind the diesels. The SM465 4 speed was only found behind the diesels in the 3/4 tons and one tons.

I got a Jimmy because it was what was 'available'. If I had found the exact truck and it had been a Chev I'd have a Blazer sitting in my carport instead.

Rene

4. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Didn't know the SM465 was only mounted on the gas verisons of the K5. Shame. Any particular reason as to why? Ah well, the TH700s are pretty decent too. ;)

As for the badges being about the only difference, I kinda figured as much, but appreciate you making it clear.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Grilles, Light doors, & badges... Holes are the same though.... So they mount the same way...

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Wow GM only offered autos with their diesels back in the 80s see it is not a new thing:D .

Ira

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

My guess is top speed. You would need 3.08 gears with stock-ish 29" tires to do 70 mph.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My guess would be fuel mileage. The 3/4 tons and one tons got 4.10's, ran a ~30" tire with the SM 465 (3000 rpm at 65 mph). They were lucky to see 14-15 mpg on the highway. With rpm's being so critical to getting the most mileage out of the 6.2 GM often equipped the K5's with 3.08's and overdrive (1620 rpm at 65 mph, 23-25 mpg hwy)

This would have greatly helped their CAFE numbers at the time. The 3/4 and 1 ton's also weren't subject to the same emissions requirements.

Rene