Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What diffs can i use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Usguy, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Usguy

Usguy Newbie

Hello All..!!!!!

I have a 94 k5 and i just lunched the rear-end, I saw a old suburban at the junkyard that looked like it had the same ten bolt rear end. But I didnt know if they where interchangeable can anyone help me clarify if there is any differances, I have the 3.73 gears and I want to take the ring and pinion gears out of my truck and replace them with the ones from the suburban but still use the same axles, is this possible? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

94 k5? you got a solid axle under the front or is it the independent front suspension?

it would be easier to swap the entire axle under your truck if you ask me. id measure its width to ensure its the same, but swappin that axle shouldn't be a huge deal.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like you have an IFS Blazer(not considered a K5). If that is the case, no the rear end out of an old(solid front axle) Suburban is not the same. The spring pad spacing is way different. If you can weld maybe you could move the spring pads and probably have to move shock mounts too.

What happened to your rear that you need to replace it? If you really "lunched" it, then what makes you think the gears are any good? Seen more than one ten bolt chew up a set of gears like they were nothing.

4. Usguy

Usguy Newbie

I am trying to use the gears from the old suburban in the pumikin on my blazers diff should i just buy new gears?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd buy new gears but that can be swapped.

6. Usguy

Usguy Newbie

R U sure the suburban's diff doesn't have a differant amount of splines on the axle shaft ?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well yes it most likely does, but you asked about using the gears not the carrier and spider gears.

Grenade your carrier as well? Could take the spider gears from your present 10 bolt and install them in the carrier from the suburban.

8. Usguy

Usguy Newbie

you really think so?