Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chevy305, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My old digital camera is not at the bottom of a lake in Maine so I need a new one. Not looking for something too expensive or extravagant, just something that can take quality pictures. I know very little about them because the one I had was a gift, it was a Canon I believe. What are my options for a new one?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have 2 Kodaks. A 3.1 and a 5.0. They take great pics, were not expensive and have been very tough.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you just want a good pocket camera the Olympus Camedia series worked great for me. I have had two of them (I still have one, and take it places I don't want to take the Nikon). Look for one with good zoom, but don't expect it to be able to do what an SLR is capable of.

What is your budget? Give us a dollar range and we can offer better advice.

4. Chevy305

price range is max $275

5. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I agree with CBBR on the Kodak cameras. I got one for Christmas and the pictures are awsome (if I take them right).

6. bigjbear

7. Chevy305

8. Chevy305

9. bigjbear

Looks like a good deal, its got a quick recovery for fast follow up shots and decent amount of zoom. Looks like a big lcd screen, that is nice when everyone wants to see the picture right away. Plan on buying a memory card though. I would go to the store and check it out before buying. Most places will price match these days. You may even want to buy it at a camera store instead of Best Buy, a lot of times they do good package deals. (The only bad thing is they might try to steer you to more expensive stuff, just know your budget going in and stick with it.)

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

11. bigjbear

I like the internal stabilization that one has. Very nice in low light when not using a tripod or a rest. Its not a as big a deal as they make it out to be for long range shots in daylight, but when shooting in low light (like when you hear the shutter pause) it could be a big help.

12. bigjbear

Time for a little pic whorn'

That Kodak has about 30x effective zoom, probably the best you will see in that price range. And jek is right, in a way, about the mega-pixels deal. About 3 Mp will make nice snap shot sized pics, but if you want to look at them on a TV they will be distorted at that res.

Now for zoom examples.
    With that cam you should be able to stand here:

[​IMG]

and get this:

[​IMG]

but not likely this:

[​IMG]

...and you would need something you could put a zoom lens on to get this:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I had to reduce these to fit on CK5, but the originals are still crisp on a 19in TV, and slightly distorted on my wide screen. I've had some 11x14s printed and they are extremely clear. So while 3 Mp might work, I'd look for at least 5Mp (which that Kodak has). If you want to look at them on a wide screen 8Mp would be a better choice (I was at about 6 on those).

13. Chevy305

That is a sweet camera! :bow:

I think I want it!

14. jekbrown

me too! I have a 5-6 year old Kodak (handmedown from dad!) that has a pitiful 2x zoom on it and 2.0 MP. It takes decent pics, but I'm going to upgrade when $ allows (next year sometime prolly). That Kodak rocks. Its way under budget, and it has a 12x optical zoom. Optical zooms rock... and whatever you do, don't be fooled by the digital zoom numbers that camera companies like to beat their chest about. Optical zoom is the only one that matters, find out what that number is and forget the rest. Hell, using photoshop my old crusty Kodak has a 50,000x digital zoom! :grin:

As far as MPs go... TVs (even HD) and monitors really aren't that high resolution. The computer screen you are looking at right now is most likely less than 100 dpi. When you need lots of megapixels is when you plan on printing out the photos (600dpi+)... in a large format (ie, over 8x10").... especially when you plan on cropping and enlarging/blowing up a small portion of the image. The need for this can be somewhat negated with a good zoom lens and proper framing of the pic when you actually take it. Not 100% sure what you mean by "distortion" of the image... sounds like its more about compatible resolutions that anything else. Thankfully, PS can make any image you have any res you want.

When I finally do upgrade my camera, I'm not even going to worry about how many MP it has. Optical zoom + lense size + the ability to take multiple shots in rapid fashion are the only features that really matter to me. Any camera that has those capabilities will have plenty of megapixels to do the job.

j

15. Chevy305

Yup tomorrow I am going out to buy that Kodak camera :bow: Can't wait

16. jekbrown

glad I could help. I'd get one myself, but I need to save all the $ I can for my wife's new car. I bought a bunch of DOM for my K5 project... now I gotta cut back on K5 funds pretty drastically. doh!

anyway, when you get the cam post some pics! I wanna see that 12x zoom in action.

j

17. bigjbear

That is one of best things about today's d-cams, if it's got a good lens it will have Mp to use it. Unfortunately, the reverse is not always true.

By distortion I mean when I hook my SLR directly to the wide screen the small details get a little fuzzy. On a smaller TV they are crisp.

As far as printing, weather I print it or have it done, I haven't needed more than 6Mp. That includes some stuff that was in the 11x14 range.

The examples I posted above are optical zoom. Once I got the zoom lens for the Nikon I was ruined forever. But the truth is, there is only so much you can do with a camera with a fixed lens. With his budget set at $275 he could get a D50, but that would not include a lens.

18. bigjbear

One last bit of advice. Before you lay out the cash talk to the guy at the camera store a bit. Then take some pics with a couple cameras in your price range, also a little above and below your price point. A real camera store is probably the only place you will be able to do this, even if you end up spending an extra $10 it is worth it. I thought I knew what I wanted when I went in (a Cannon) but after two trips to the store, a lot of net searching, and some serious talks with my wife, I went with something else.

19. jekbrown

me still thinks the blurry widescreen image thing is probably a compatibility issue or the monitor is "messing" with the image. Lots of HD sets do this, Sony has DRC (digital reality creation) etc for example. The reason this seems likely is that even the most bling bling of all TVs (1080p HD set) is only 1920x1080 pixels.. regardless of screen size. 5" or 100", don't matter, you still only have 1080p to work with (ie see!). As it turns out, thats about 2,073,600 pixels... or 2MP. Its sort of like a PC monitor. The image may be 150,000 megapixels... you are still only going to see 1.5-2 of them. Is there something I'm missing here? One can demo this using photoshop. Suck an image in there that is super high res... 8MP or more... then change the image to 100 DPI using image edit. You won't see any difference on the screen, even though you just flushed a ton of pixels down the visual toilet. ;)

j