Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Disk brake master cylinder to go with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_muscle, Jan 19, 2005.

1. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

I'm putting a '76 dana 44 in my '69 blazer so that I'll have disk brakes up front.

I also need to change out my master cylinder for one designed for disk brakes.

That leads me to thing that I should buy a MC for a 71 or 72 (with disks up front).

.... but I'm considering converting the back 12-bolt to disks in the future...

..... is there a 4-wheel disk brake master cylinder that will bolt right up and I can use both now and when/if I convert the rear later?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would get a Master & Booster from a 1Ton 72 4x4

This is what I swapped into my 72 for awsome braking power:D

3. chevy_muscle

thanks for the suggestion, but again, I would like to run 4-wheels disks sometime in the future, and I don't want to have to re-buy a MC.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

How much does the 1 ton MC/booster cost??

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There appears to be absolutely no consensus on what MC will work with disk brakes.

Looking through all the rear disk posts, from people that have done it, you will see success with the stock master cylinder from a disk/drum setup, you will see success with a larger disk/drum setup, you will see success using the stock MC with an aftermarket proportioning valve added, and so on.

I know what you mean, but I'd buy the cheapest master you can find now, and run it until you decide to go with rear disks, and see what happens when you get there. Is a cheap (stock) master really that expensive? I expect they are in the $30 range...

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea I plan to see how it goes when the disks go on and if I need more stopping then I will upgrade the MC/booster or if to much braking in the front get a proportional valve

7. Tx70Jimmy

Tx70Jimmy Registered Member

In an earlier post you mentioned you might have a Dana 44 with disc for sale, do you have one available?

8. chevy_muscle

Yep, I'll sell one of the two when I decide which one I'm gonna use. They're the same except for the stabilizer mount and the gear ratios....

>..... I'll decide in the next week or two..... then the other will be for sale.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhmm there was no k30 til 77

no factory 4 wheel disk trucks either

so youre stuck with caddy or seville 4 wheel, but neither will readily bolt up

AFAIK ppl use adjustable prop valve and a stock m/s

the 70 older truck oens are equal size reservoirs, in which would probably be best bet in all reality, but then rears dont do much stopping anyways, so dunno

good luck

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Caddy stuff is junk IMO. There are TONS of options out there for rear disk stuff, no one is willing to look for all of them.

If you want rear disks, my suggestion is to start with rotors that are 6 lug, and find calipers to match.

Rear disks from Camaro's, Corvette's, later Trucks, and so on and so on.

Just as "for instances" of how interchangeable stuff is, calipers from an 11" brake rotor Camaro will bolt to the brackets made for Cadillac calipers on the 14FF setup. Later on (not sure what year this started) the 8.5", 14SF, and 14FF ALL shared the same bolt spacing on the brake backing plate flange, which means the disks brake brackets off of a later 14FF will fit a later 8.5" axle.

There are a LOT of concerns when dealing with this stuff (ebrake being the main one) but if you can deal with a driveline brake, your choices are much better, even if not, you still have non-cadillac options, just have to do some homework. I really do believe there are some good options out there, we just haven't found them. I believe late 80's Camaro (before they went with the drum in hat ebrake design) rear calipers, with some foreign (Toyota?) rotors (because they can't be 1.25" wide with the Camaro stuff) would be a nice setup, and plentiful. Much more so than the Cadillac stuff.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

personally I'm going with dual wilwood cylinders. One for the front and one for the rear. I want manual brakes and buying some new masters seems the best way to go. If they don't work out I can always sell them for damn near what I paid for them.