Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what distributor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Burben, Oct 10, 2006.

1. 89Burben

89Burben Registered Member

I have an 86 BBC mark IV carbureted. What is the best distributor thats low maintenance, and performs well. Theres so many different types, mechanical adv, vacumm advance...

Is the mallory UNILITE any good?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

What's wrong with an HEI dizzy?

Buy one from MSD or DUI.

Plus you can buy replacement parts at any auto parts store in america. Don't know about the mallory.

3. 89Burben

well i was just mainly wondering about that unilite, my dad has that on his corvette and i wanted something that the parts dont "wear out"

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I don't see how any dist could be low/high maintenance. Set the timing and spark advance and then let it rip. What I was refering to was not it wearing out, but rather when something goes wrong, the ability to find replacement parts to get you going again in a rather short time. I'd hate to be stuck on the side of the road/trail trying to find a replacement ignition module for that distributor. May never happen, but it's worth considering. May be an acceptable risk in a corvette that is a play toy, but maybe not so much in a truck that you have to rely on to get you home.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have used Unilites in a few vehicles they are a very good dist. I have one in my boat. Never had one fail but I always have a spare module with me just in case. The unilite modules are about twice the price of a stock module.
    No matter what kind in dist you have you should have a spare module along.
    There is nothing wrong with the stock HEI either it is very dependable and you can get parts anywhere. For a stock or mild 4x4. Stock HEI with a better aftermarket coil (MSD or DUI) would be my first choice.
    If you get a MSD dist remove the MSD module and replace it with a stock GM one. Or at least carry a spare. I have found that altho the distributors are quality units, MSD dist modules are prone to failure

6. 89Burben

ok thanks

7. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

I would not buy a Mallory Dist. The one in my BB Camaro destroyed itself. I think one of the weights or springs broke loose and all that was left was a lot of shredded metal. I bought a MSD the next time.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Unilites are very sensitive to voltage surges. I wouldn't buy one just on that. A stock HEI with a good aftermarket module is a pretty darned good distributor. The factory had to warranty their parts for at least 36,000 miles and possibly up to 100k. The aftermarket doesn't have to do any of that. Guess who is going to put Engineering time into reliability?