Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do companies give for years of service?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Apr 25, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Howdy yall,

In addition to being my plant's safety director, I also take care of the HR stuff.(small plant) Recently, one of our employees had his 25 year anniversary here and usually this stuff slips by unnoticed. However, I went the night before and bought him a cake, made a banner, had a card and certificate. Small beans for such a long time of HARD WORK. So now we have a guy coming up on 35 years. I asked the big boss and although he's really tight on funds, he agreed to do something for the vetrans of the company "if it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars". Here's what I have in mind. Certificates for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, ect years...in a nice thank you jacket signed by the management. Also for those years, a banner, cake, pizza, something along those lines. But for 25 and 35 years, I wanted to do something special. I'm thinking of a $50 gift for 25, and up to a $150 for 35. Maybe a nice watch? So cliche i know...

So what does everyone here get or any ideas yall have??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

We had a guy here at work just have his 45 years with the company. They took him out to lunch and gave him some golf balls with the Purolator logo on it. My company is unbelieveably cheap, I couldn't believe it.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We mark ours every 5 years with better things every time. My 5 years got a certificate and $200. 35 years got more money and a nice wall clock.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah ours is too...cause in the past we haven't done ANYTHING. The boss came up with the idea of having them pick something out in a certain price range from the choose your gift book. But that's unbelievably cheesy in my eyes...what else? Bueller? Bueller?

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Money is always good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The company I work for gives $$$ in $250 increments for every 5 years of service. So, at 20 years, you get a check for $1000. Small potatos if you ask me... in this day and age, how many people actually stay at one company for 20 years? Actually, the better question might be... how many companies actually stay in business for 20 years? In my eyes, anything to acknowledge a person's hard work and loyalty to a company is nice. A watch! Yes, everyone needs a nice watch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

An extra couple of days of PAID vacation would be cool. Hell, an extra week would be nice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . Some companies don't give much at all (I know mine doesn't).

I say make the gift unique to each person, and fit it in the price range. Example: Say he likes to turn wrenches for fun, how about a nice set of wrenches with the company name engraved and a thank you for 35+ years of service. That way, each gift is different, and unique to each person. It's just more of a creative challenge for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BIGJ

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I think Profit Sharing is the best way to keep employees around and working hard for the company. Then the employees get something for their loyalty and hard work. A constant insentive. Screw the watch... By the time you get it, you will be too old to care what time it is. You'll just be glad you woke up one more time... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

45 yrs .......Golf balls and lunch. What a bunch of cheap bastards, that sucks!!!!!!!

9. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

My Father just had his 20th aniversary at his work.....he received a decent watch, some cash, and a <font color="pink"> </font> ! The company is not doing too hot, and decided he was worth too much $$$$, and let him go. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The company has only been around for 21 years, so he got the short end of the stick with the pink slip. Not the way to celebrate! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

for 15 yrs at duke power my dad got a swiss army pocket knife.........its mine now lol.......at that same time i think 40 or 45 years was a grandfather clock lol.

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Das, 10,15,20 year marks include a hand shake, a lapel pin with a diamond (they get more larger with time) and a free lunch. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and a free lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeeze my boss buys me lunch 2 or 3 times a month. Between him and the vendors I'm a fat a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinkin like Cheryl, how many people are actually with a place that long?

Watch sounds good to me. A grand sounds nice, too...

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

For 25 years with GM my dad got a decent wall clock and my mom got some goofy kaleidoscope. I don't recall what he got for 30 and 35.

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

this happens to be my field /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Companies usually do plaques or pens..sometimes glass or acrylic awards. You can do a really nice looking plaque for cheaper than you think. You would need to go for a simulated wood plaque. You might could get a 6x8 sim. wood plaque engraved for about 20 bucks. Or you can do pens...there are some other pens you can choose...it doesn't have to be a cross pen or anything.

16. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

For 17 years of very physical work as a conveyor belt mechanic all I got was, right elbow surgery, left elbow surgery, low back surgery, that made me worse, five years of dealing with workers comp. Ins. and in my settlement was please do not apply for work here again, oh 6 months of health Insurence... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

17. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

In Aerospace its usually a Lay-Off Notice.

For my 20 years I got a tie-tack pin, a cheap certificate that came off someones printer and was able to pick a gift from the company's catalog. I took the $35 desk clock /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

But hey, one of my co-workers got his lay-off notice 1 week before his 35th anniversary. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif