Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do dual shocks do

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 4, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I know I show my ignorance all of the time, and I've got another question. The curiosity is getting the best of me. :)

What exactly do double shocks do? Why would I want them, or why would I not want them.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Big time Stiffen your ride... I took mine off and I'm not looking back. You wouldn't need them unless your running baja and jumping the rig.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Mine has duals front and rear, as well as the kicker shocks. It defintely tames the washboard roads etc. but I wouldn't go and do this unless you're really into sick wheelin', it just makes it more expensive to change shocks when they wear out. They do look pretty cool though... It does stiffen the ride a bit, but not a hell of alot because the valving is different for a dual setup (or should be). It's basically two softer shocks taking the place of a stiffer shock.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Bajaing is out of the question. The shock builds up heat, and then begins to fade. Doubles will help this out, but there is no "stock" shock, i.e. Rancho,Trailmaster that can handle it. Bilstein has the best off the rack shock for high speed offroading, but you still need to shell out a couple hundred bucks per shock for a good shock for this arena.

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Unless your running some HUGE meats or jumping it a lot, I would stick with single shocks.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have dual shocks on the front. It came oem on mine. I keep it just because I am used to it. And I hate change..LOL

Become one with nature.............Then marinate it..

7. solowookie

I didn't know if I was actually considering it or not.

Actually, my kids would probably LOVE a lot of jumping. They are autistic, and we have a ball together. I take them hill climbing and 4 wheeling, and they usually SCREAM when we stop. I think they like it a lot better then my wife does. :)

Anyway, thanks for the info. I've seen a lot of people running dual shocks, and to me this seem like it would make the ride a lot harder. I was just curious.

Thanks again...
    Jeff

8. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

I've got the OEM dual front shocks on mine too. I see no real reason to take em off, speaking of shocks, anybody used Pro-Comp ES3000's? I was thinking of ditching the old stockers in favor of some of the Pro-comps (or comparable Rancho or whatever).

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I just put the procomp 3000's on two weeks ago. I love them. I couldn't see spending the kind of money they wanted for rancho 9000's. We all have a 106 inch wheel base and no matter what we do. It isn' going to ride like a cadilac... If you have no lift I might have a set procomp 3000's for you. They were put on just before I lifted the Blazer. Then I had to buy a new set with the lift.............

Become one with nature............Then marinateit.

10. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

not a whole heck of a lot. if you want a softer ride go with out duals.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

11. muddin4fun

a little FYI....Rancho and procomp are made by the same company. I don't remember if procomp makes rancho or if rancho makes procomp, but when you buy rancho, you're really just paying extra for the name. I've used rancho shocks and procomp shocks and there was no difference. I'm sure it's the same with lifts and such, but I can't say that I've personally been able to compare those personally.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

12. Blazerblk

Blazerblk Registered Member

I was told that GM put Dual shocks in front to stiffen the front suspension for plowing. And other heavy duty work. You probably have 3 leafs in front and 5 leafs and a helper out back. Your ride is also probably very stiff. I have the same setup and am tired of the stiffness, but I bought 4 new shocks for the front before I found out that they are not needed. That was last year. Maybe in the summer I'll change them. Or I'll change them when I get a 2-2.5" lift, which ever comes firts. 2 shocks will be just fine.

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

They just stiffen the ride...I got 6 new RS9000s in November and took 2 off the front a few months ago and it made a world of diffenence. It doens't reallt matter which ones you take off...the ones I took off are for sale in the parts for sale forum if anyone's interested...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have duals....just makes the ride stiffer. I don't do jumping but I am not taking them off. I'm used to the stiff ride and things flying because of how stiff they are. Besides I can't handle that kind of change! I have considered drilling one out to soften the ride. But I opted not too in case I ever do any wheelin' to need both. Besides they look nice [​IMG]

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"
    Suck fumes Ford Boy!!

15. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

the double shocks are for more controlled damping. they have a rate like springs do, but it is a damping rate. and like springs, the more you put, the more the rate increases. the higher the rate the less easy it compresses/decompresses....the harder the shock/ride. GM put some on the front as mentioned before for plowing and such. they are not jumping shocks!!! ( i have learned that the hard way).
    now if you prepare the truck right, you can actually have a flying truck that will survive some serious lauches. and yes you can use off the shelf items. it all about how they are put together.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

16. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

My truck had the three leaf frnt. and 5 back. Drove horrible with single shocks. Went throgh all the pain of putting factory duals in and it was worse. Let me also mention, that I have been known to have a few and get airborn. Didn't notice a difference with the duals. i lifted the trucked, installed procomp ES9000's, without the duals, and I feel it rides better, not as stiff, more bouncy like a tonka truck. i wouldn't bother putting them back if I had to replace them.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

17. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

the double shocks are for more controlled damping. they have a rate like springs do, but it is a damping rate. and like springs, the more you put, the more the rate increases. the higher the rate the less easy it compresses/decompresses....the harder the shock/ride.
    if you have a high damping rate, this means it needs more of a shock (bump, jump, rut...etc) to make the shock move. if you hit a small bump the shock will not move, the chassis will--READ: A ROUGH RIDE. when you have a low rate, even the smallest bump will move the shock, and it will not transfer the shock to the frame--SMOOTHER RIDE.
    now, travel plays a role here. if you have huge mounts of travel, you can get away with really soft shocks. because by the time you have bottomed out, the shock has had plenty of time and travel to absorb everything. see how soft baja trucks are.
    but on the other hand, when you dont have alot of travel, the shock needs to be able to absorb the same amount of bump/shock in less time. this is when a stiffer shock is needed to prevent bottoming out and the diff whacking the frame and bending you steering joints, breaking ball joints, bending diff housings.
    GM put some on the front as mentioned before for plowing and such. they are not jumping shocks!!! ( i have learned that the hard way).
    now if you prepare the truck right, you can actually have a flying truck that will survive some serious lauches. and yes you can use off the shelf items. it all about how they are put together.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

18. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Lara,
    I bet your right about Rancho and ProComp being the same. I had to order another set of front U-bolts for the 86 because the lift was originally going on a 74. The box and instructions were exactly the same as the Rancho ones I had and it was ProComp. ProComp shocks are considerably cheaper.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. solowookie

hey, your post was great... The in depth explanation was fantastic. I would assume most of you take this kind of knowledge for granted.

great post, thanks for the info...

Jeff

20. muddin4fun

Of course I'm right. I'm always right. Just kidding...
    Just wait, I'll get 20 people saying, "No you're not!!!"
    There are a lot of things that are the same and all you pay for is the name. It's a plus to have a hubby as a parts man. Just like, Napa oil filters (the Gold line) are Wix filters, but you won't pay as much if you buy the Napa line. I do know that oil is not the case. Quakerstate and Pennzoil are made by the same company. They both have a sort of wax in them that stays in the motor and you don't have as bad of a dry start, but you have wax in the motor (Vavoline's the best IMO). I think Rough Country and that lift company that starts with an H are the same company too. Rough Country lifts are cheaper cause they don't have the "name" on them, but it's the same product. Funny how stuff works sometimes.

[​IMG]