Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do i do about my hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Aug 8, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

alright ive got warn premium hubs from my 88 10bolt and i want to put them on an early 8lug d44. i bought some used hubs, because the ones on the axle were shot. the new hubs have 6 big holes, and looks like they need these kind of hubs.... http://www.purenissan.com/warn_hubs1.htm is there anyway i can buy that black mounting part, or does that mean i just have to buy external hubs? does this mean my warn hubs from my 10bolt wont work?

hope what i said isnt too confusing. thanks

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

those are external locking hubs, and you need to buy a set that are that style, you cannot convert internal hubs (stock on 10b) over

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

alright, thats what i was afraid of.

is there a big strength difference between the internal and external?

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, there is quite a difference in strength.

In a 10b axle, or internal style, the torque from the axleshaft is transferred to the lockout, which in turn is transferred to the wheel hub. There is 360 degrees of engagement, just like an axleshaft.

On the D44, the external style, the torque from the shafts is transferred to only the 6 bolts that hold the lockout or drive flange on. The bolts are notorious for backing out if not installed properly (i.e. locktite or lock washers) and the hub itself is a weaker design. That is true if you are running the factory Spicer or older style Warn hubs, that have an International Harvester stamping on them. The replacement hubs offered from Warn currently are stonger, in that they replace the roughly 2" thick spacer and the need for a longer bolt. IMO, the factory drive flanges are the strongest, but they don't allow you to disengage the axleshafts, which will hurt your gas mileage.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Your best bet would be to find a set of 8 lug wheel hubs from a newer D44 or a 10 bolt that uses the internal style lockouts.